to substitute for; to return something to a particular position or location
scan
replace
pad
leave

He allows squatting

on the other hand | can you please explain to me how American football works in general?
He allows squatting #1 (permalink) Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:23 am   He allows squatting

ESL/EFL Test #272 "Gerund and Infinitive Practice (11)", question 3

He allows ......... on his property. He is a very generous man and feels bad for homeless people.

(a) squats
(b) squat
(c) squatting
(d) to squat

ESL/EFL Test #272 "Gerund and Infinitive Practice (11)", answer 3

He allows squatting on his property. He is a very generous man and feels bad for homeless people.

Correct answer: (c) squatting
_________________________

I wrote: He allows squatting on his property.
/ Though the Cambridge Dictionary says allow + inf and the Hungarian Dictionary says allow /sy to do sg/ I chose gerund because squattering means in duration.

But 4. question isn't clear.
_________________

He allows squatting #2 (permalink) Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:36 am   He allows squatting

The infinitive requires a subject for the infinitive: 'He allows homeless people to squat...'
_________________

Can you find all the prepositions in this story?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is all you want to know about English! Click to subscribe to free email English course
Object direct #3 (permalink) Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:27 am   Object direct

Thanks again Mister Micawber for the explanation.
_________________

the exact dimensions of the areaGrammarour analysts have spelled out what happenedRobert's courting TanyaI feel lousy todayPlease help me in writing my motivation letterflag down a taxiDig one's heelIf only/only ifWhat does 'this is' mean here?article "a" or "the"A gait is a specific walking or running pacethen you can board the plane.