Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

consequence; outcome; result; indirect suggestion; connotation; hint
craft
synthesis
implication
insert
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

What does to cast doubt mean?

ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
pluralise an adjective | His tumultuous journeys include....
listening exercises
What does to cast doubt mean? #1 (permalink) Sun Dec 12, 2010 23:18 pm   What does to cast doubt mean?

English Language Tests, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #316 "English Slang Idioms (37)", question 5

I don't know if the defendant committed the crime or not. His attorney cast ......... on the main witness's story once he proved that she was lying about having seen him at the crime scene.

(a) net
(b) shadow
(c) spells
(d) doubt

English Language Tests, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #316 "English Slang Idioms (37)", answer 5

I don't know if the defendant committed the crime or not. His attorney cast doubt on the main witness's story once he proved that she was lying about having seen him at the crime scene.

Correct answer: (d) doubt

Person with cast iron stomach only can mean a person who can eat and drink anything without problem. Am I right?

What does to cast doubt mean? #2 (permalink) Sun Dec 12, 2010 23:53 pm   What does to cast doubt mean?

yes - though obviously it has nothing to do with this test question.
'Cast' in this question means 'throw'.
'Cast iron' is an alloy of iron containing so much carbon that it is brittle and so cannot be wrought but must be shaped by casting (moulding).
Language Coach

Learn to use the present simple with the help of this short storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is all you want to know about English! Click to subscribe to free email English course
6.question #3 (permalink) Mon Dec 13, 2010 7:57 am   6.question

Dear BZ.

We are thinking in the same way, because I thought the same: Why does this proverb say " a cast iron" it would have been enough "iron stomach" all the more the Hungarian one also says " iron stomach".Perhaps is the cast iron stronger?

Kati

What does to cast doubt mean? #4 (permalink) Mon Dec 13, 2010 7:59 am   What does to cast doubt mean?

B.Z. and my answer belong to the 6. question.

Re: 6.question #5 (permalink) Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:31 am   Re: 6.question

Kati Svaby wrote:
Dear BZ.

We are thinking in the same way, because I thought the same: Why does this proverb say " a cast iron" it would have been enough "iron stomach" all the more the Hungarian one also says " iron stomach".Perhaps is the cast iron stronger?

Kati

Hello Kati,

This question does not mention 'cast iron' at all. Here, the phrase is 'to cast doubt'. This is a completely different use of the word 'cast'. In the question 'cast' is a verb, which means to throw something so that it spreads over a whole area.
Here the person spreads doubt among a group of people.

The phrase 'cast iron' can be a noun opr an adjective depending on whether we are talking about the cast iron itself or something made of cast iron.
Language Coach

question 6 #6 (permalink) Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:49 pm   question 6

Hi BZ,

I couldn't answer immediately because I had to do something important and going from home. Excuse me but I mixed the 5 questions with the 6.

I wrote my answer in the 6 test what concerns this question.
At the 5 test: I know to cast is a verb in this test and it means to throw. Proverb means if you cast precious pearls before a swine it means to give something to somebody who doesn't appreciate it . Is it okey in this way.

I am sorry for my error.
Kati

pluralise an adjective | His tumultuous journeys include....
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
skim over the written detailsall fun and gamesa game two can play,stand in front of mewatch the tide come inI would like to mentionWhat is the meaning of "corn ball at work"?have a cast iron stomachcashed in his chipscarry the canHe's like a canary in a coal mine...can't hold a candle togarbage, trash, waste and rubbish.