consequence; outcome; result; indirect suggestion; connotation; hint
craft
synthesis
implication
insert

What does to cast doubt mean?

pluralise an adjective | His tumultuous journeys include....
What does to cast doubt mean? #1 (permalink) Sun Dec 12, 2010 23:18 pm   What does to cast doubt mean?

I don't know if the defendant committed the crime or not. His attorney cast ......... on the main witness's story once he proved that she was lying about having seen him at the crime scene.

(a) net
(b) shadow
(c) spells
(d) doubt

I don't know if the defendant committed the crime or not. His attorney cast doubt on the main witness's story once he proved that she was lying about having seen him at the crime scene.

Correct answer: (d) doubt
_________________________

Person with cast iron stomach only can mean a person who can eat and drink anything without problem. Am I right?
_________________

What does to cast doubt mean? #2 (permalink) Sun Dec 12, 2010 23:53 pm   What does to cast doubt mean?

yes - though obviously it has nothing to do with this test question.
'Cast' in this question means 'throw'.
'Cast iron' is an alloy of iron containing so much carbon that it is brittle and so cannot be wrought but must be shaped by casting (moulding).
_________________

Learn to use the present simple with the help of this short storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is all you want to know about English! Click to subscribe to free email English course
6.question #3 (permalink) Mon Dec 13, 2010 7:57 am   6.question

Dear BZ.

We are thinking in the same way, because I thought the same: Why does this proverb say " a cast iron" it would have been enough "iron stomach" all the more the Hungarian one also says " iron stomach".Perhaps is the cast iron stronger?

Thanks:
Kati
_________________

What does to cast doubt mean? #4 (permalink) Mon Dec 13, 2010 7:59 am   What does to cast doubt mean?

B.Z. and my answer belong to the 6. question.
_________________

Re: 6.question #5 (permalink) Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:31 am   Re: 6.question

Kati Svaby wrote:
Dear BZ.

Thanks:
Kati

Hello Kati,

This question does not mention 'cast iron' at all. Here, the phrase is 'to cast doubt'. This is a completely different use of the word 'cast'. In the question 'cast' is a verb, which means to throw something so that it spreads over a whole area.
Here the person spreads doubt among a group of people.

The phrase 'cast iron' can be a noun opr an adjective depending on whether we are talking about the cast iron itself or something made of cast iron.
_________________

question 6 #6 (permalink) Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:49 pm   question 6

Hi BZ,

I couldn't answer immediately because I had to do something important and going from home. Excuse me but I mixed the 5 questions with the 6.

I wrote my answer in the 6 test what concerns this question.
At the 5 test: I know to cast is a verb in this test and it means to throw. Proverb means if you cast precious pearls before a swine it means to give something to somebody who doesn't appreciate it . Is it okey in this way.

I am sorry for my error.
Kati
_________________

skim over the written detailsall fun and gamesa game two can play,stand in front of mewatch the tide come inI would like to mentionWhat is the meaning of "corn ball at work"?have a cast iron stomachcashed in his chipscarry the canHe's like a canary in a coal mine...can't hold a candle togarbage, trash, waste and rubbish.