one of the four quarters of the year (winter, spring, summer, autumn)
setup
mistake
tray
season

Differences: advantages, reasons, profits, effects

Meaning of "all day long" | from the ground up
Differences: advantages, reasons, profits, effects #1 (permalink) Thu Mar 09, 2006 8:22 am   Differences: advantages, reasons, profits, effects

Synonym Search, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #121 "Synonyms for profit and benefit", question 2

The many ......... in living in a big city rather than in a village are that you have the chance to find an interesting job, more cinemas and more places where you can have fun.

(a) advantages
(b) reasons
(c) profits
(d) effects

Synonym Search, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #121 "Synonyms for profit and benefit", answer 2

The many advantages in living in a big city rather than in a village are that you have the chance to find an interesting job, more cinemas and more places where you can have fun.

Correct answer: (a) advantages
_________________________

The differences among the advantages, reasons, profits, effects

thao
thao

Advantages etc #2 (permalink) Thu Mar 09, 2006 9:22 am   Advantages etc

Hi thao,

Your question is:

Advantages are favourable points. Reasons are explanations for something. Profits are financial benefits and effects are the results of an action.

_________________

Can you find all the prepositions in this story?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Learn how to explore English words! Subscribe to free email English course
Differences: advantages, reasons, profits, effects #3 (permalink) Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:12 am   Differences: advantages, reasons, profits, effects

Good day Sirs and Madams!

I wonder if there should be any punctuation marks in the question sentence, for example, after that (... than in a village are that; you have the chance ... , more...).

Thank you in advance.
Gatherer

Location: Russia

Differences: advantages, reasons, profits, effects #4 (permalink) Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:21 am   Differences: advantages, reasons, profits, effects

Personally I would not use the colon after 'that' in the sentence. If you wanted a colon, I would suggest this - are as follows:
_________________

Differences: advantages, reasons, profits, effects #5 (permalink) Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:19 am   Differences: advantages, reasons, profits, effects

Alan,
"There are many advantages in living in a big city rather than in a village: finding jobs, going to more cinemas and places of fun."
Is this sentence OK?
Allifathima

Differences: advantages, reasons, profits, effects #6 (permalink) Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:20 am   Differences: advantages, reasons, profits, effects

There are many advantages in living in a big city rather than in a village, such as the following: finding more interesting jobs, a wider choice of cinemas and the ability to go to more places to have fun.
_________________

"formidable" instead of "formidible"Why is this wrong?Order vs. ordersANDuse of 'on' in participal phraseLaura's ex-husband is a dead beat dad...Test incompl/elem-293, Question 3come across shadyWhat is the meaning of expression 'hitch in your giddyup'?Conditional II questionMeaning of the word defiantpassed vs. pastDifference between the words 'reason' and 'cause'