Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

one of the four quarters of the year (winter, spring, summer, autumn)
setup
mistake
tray
season
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

Differences: advantages, reasons, profits, effects

ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
Meaning of "all day long" | from the ground up
listening exercises
Differences: advantages, reasons, profits, effects #1 (permalink) Thu Mar 09, 2006 8:22 am   Differences: advantages, reasons, profits, effects

Synonym Search, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #121 "Synonyms for profit and benefit", question 2

The many ......... in living in a big city rather than in a village are that you have the chance to find an interesting job, more cinemas and more places where you can have fun.

(a) advantages
(b) reasons
(c) profits
(d) effects

Synonym Search, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #121 "Synonyms for profit and benefit", answer 2

The many advantages in living in a big city rather than in a village are that you have the chance to find an interesting job, more cinemas and more places where you can have fun.

Correct answer: (a) advantages

The differences among the advantages, reasons, profits, effects

thao
thao

Advantages etc #2 (permalink) Thu Mar 09, 2006 9:22 am   Advantages etc

Hi thao,

Your question is:

Quote:
The differences among the advantages, reasons, profits, effects

Advantages are favourable points. Reasons are explanations for something. Profits are financial benefits and effects are the results of an action.

Alan
Co-founder
Alan Townend

Can you find all the prepositions in this story?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Learn how to explore English words! Subscribe to free email English course
Differences: advantages, reasons, profits, effects #3 (permalink) Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:12 am   Differences: advantages, reasons, profits, effects

Good day Sirs and Madams!

I wonder if there should be any punctuation marks in the question sentence, for example, after that (... than in a village are that; you have the chance ... , more...).

Thank you in advance.
Gatherer
I'm new here and I like it ;-)

Differences: advantages, reasons, profits, effects #4 (permalink) Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:21 am   Differences: advantages, reasons, profits, effects

Personally I would not use the colon after 'that' in the sentence. If you wanted a colon, I would suggest this - are as follows:
Co-founder
Alan Townend

Differences: advantages, reasons, profits, effects #5 (permalink) Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:19 am   Differences: advantages, reasons, profits, effects

Alan,
"There are many advantages in living in a big city rather than in a village: finding jobs, going to more cinemas and places of fun."
Is this sentence OK?
Allifathima
I'm a Communicator ;-)

Differences: advantages, reasons, profits, effects #6 (permalink) Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:20 am   Differences: advantages, reasons, profits, effects

There are many advantages in living in a big city rather than in a village, such as the following: finding more interesting jobs, a wider choice of cinemas and the ability to go to more places to have fun.
Language Coach

Meaning of "all day long" | from the ground up
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
"formidable" instead of "formidible"Why is this wrong?Order vs. ordersANDuse of 'on' in participal phraseLaura's ex-husband is a dead beat dad...Test incompl/elem-293, Question 3come across shadyWhat is the meaning of expression 'hitch in your giddyup'?Conditional II questionMeaning of the word defiantpassed vs. pastDifference between the words 'reason' and 'cause'