to bind with a contract
serve
determine
bill
article

Supper is a main meal

catch up vs. make up | See a concert?
Supper is a main meal #1 (permalink) Sat Dec 25, 2010 1:19 am   Supper is a main meal

ESL/EFL Test #159 "Basic Meals (1)", question 2

......... is a main meal that people have at about 6:00 pm. This is a large meal and can include items like mashed potatoes and gravy.

(a) Brunch
(b) Snacks
(c) Supper
(d) Lunch

ESL/EFL Test #159 "Basic Meals (1)", answer 2

Supper is a main meal that people have at about 6:00 pm. This is a large meal and can include items like mashed potatoes and gravy.

Correct answer: (c) Supper

Brunch is a main meal that people have at about 6:00 pm. This is a large meal and can include items like mashed potatoes and gravy.
_________________________

What I understand about the Supper is the meal which is taken about midnight or after midnight. What does Supper exactly mean?
Tinkoko1985

Supper is a main meal #2 (permalink) Sat Dec 25, 2010 8:50 am   Supper is a main meal

It's a light evening meal.
It is worth bookmarking a Learner's Dictionary for such enquiries:
http://www.oxfordadvancedlearnersdictionary.com/dictionary/supper
_________________

Learn to use the present simple with the help of this short storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Sign up for FREE and explore English! Click to subscribe to email English course
Supper is a main meal #3 (permalink) Sat Dec 25, 2010 23:11 pm   Supper is a main meal

Thank you very much Beeesneees for your quick and kind response. Just one more confusion is that why does the explanation sentence say "a large meal" if the meaning of supper is a light evening meal?
Tinkoko1985

Supper is a main meal #4 (permalink) Sat Dec 25, 2010 23:16 pm   Supper is a main meal

Hi Tinkoko,

Did you read the dictionary definition and the usage notes that go along with it, particularly these points:

The last meal of the day, either a main meal, usually smaller and less formal than dinner, or a snack eaten before you go to bed.

People use the words dinner, lunch, supper and tea in different ways depending on which English-speaking country they come from. In Britain it may also depend on which part of the country or which social class a person comes from.
_________________

Supper is a main meal #5 (permalink) Sat Dec 25, 2010 23:54 pm   Supper is a main meal

Thank you so much again Beeesneees. It is well worth explanation and very clear now in my mind with the definition of that word.

Cheers,,,,,,,,
Tinkoko1985

Supper is a main meal #6 (permalink) Sun Dec 26, 2010 0:50 am   Supper is a main meal

In the US, supper is the evening meal and is generally not light at all!
_________________

Supper is a main meal #7 (permalink) Sun Dec 26, 2010 1:06 am   Supper is a main meal

Thank you very much for your addition Mister Micawber.
Tinkoko1985

Supper is a main meal #8 (permalink) Thu Nov 15, 2012 14:27 pm   Supper is a main meal

Your sentence: Supper is a main meal that people have at about 6:00 pm. This is a large meal and can include items like mashed potatoes and gravy.

"The supper is the last meal of the day,usually smaller and less formal, or a snack eaten before you go to bed." /Oxford Dictionary/ (So it isn't a main meal.)

The main meal are: breakfast, lunch, dinner

"dinner: the main meal of the day, eaten either in the middle of the day or in the evening." (Oxford dictionary)

"A main meal eaten in the evening is usually called dinner, especially if it is a formal meal. Supper is also an evening meal, but more informal than dinner and usually eaten at home. It can also be a late meal or something to eat and drink before going to bed."(Oxford dictionary)

In France after a show or after leaving the theatre the people go to eat a supper. in a restautante.

If I am mistaken I am sorry that till now I knew that the dinner can be eat in the middle of the day we can call lunch also or about at 6 o'clock; but I never heard that super can be a main meal.
_________________

Supper is a main meal #9 (permalink) Thu Nov 15, 2012 19:02 pm   Supper is a main meal

As I said earlier:
Beeesneees wrote:

_________________

Supper is a main meal #10 (permalink) Thu Nov 15, 2012 22:38 pm   Supper is a main meal

Thanks Bez, I understood in Britain it may also depend on which part of the country or which social class a person comes from.
Many thanks:
Kati
_________________

catch up vs. make up | See a concert?
What is the difference if the order of words changed?The stove top burners are all in good working order...Meaning of "off"?What are the kinds of size of a steak sandwich?What is the difference between concerning and complacent?Usage of Past perfect verb formMeaning of disappearHow to use the reflexive pronouns?Simple present vs. present perfect progressiveMeaning of arrestedTo + infinitive after "try"English idiom: to pay a visitReflexive pronouns (itself vs. themselves)