Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

to buy; to acquire in exchange for money; to procure; to obtain
fluctuate
diet
purchase
deny
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

Good at vs. good on

ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
What for? = why? | Expression: to be afraid of
listening exercises
Good at vs. good on #1 (permalink) Fri Mar 10, 2006 23:04 pm   Good at vs. good on

English Grammar Tests, Elementary Level

ESL/EFL Test #75 "Adjective Prepositions Constructions", question 5

Lucas is very good ......... drawing.

(a) at
(b) on
(c) to
(d) with

English Grammar Tests, Elementary Level

ESL/EFL Test #75 "Adjective Prepositions Constructions", answer 5

Lucas is very good at drawing.

Correct answer: (a) at

Your answer was: incorrect
Lucas is very good on drawing.

Lucas is very good on drawing ----why is it wrong?
ronny

Good at vs. good on #2 (permalink) Sat Mar 11, 2006 9:51 am   Good at vs. good on

Hi,

The expression good at is used when you are talking about proficiency in an activity. Good on is usually showing a good knowledge of a subject.

She is very good at swimming.

He is very good on football.

Alan
Co-founder
Alan Townend

Can you find all the prepositions in this story?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Have you read a good anecdote today? Subscribe to free email English course
Good at vs. good on #3 (permalink) Wed Jul 14, 2010 20:44 pm   Good at vs. good on

Hi!
It seems that 'good at' is much more frequently employed that 'good on', isn't it?
At least, I found few examples of 'good on' in the internet.
Thanks!

Rodrigo
Rguerrero

Good at vs. good on #4 (permalink) Fri Jul 23, 2010 2:06 am   Good at vs. good on

Hi Alan:
In this explanation I cann't understand the difference between "good at-good on" please send more detail about it. I need it. Thank you.
Lourdes
You can meet me at english-test.net

Good at vs. good on #5 (permalink) Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:33 am   Good at vs. good on

Hi Lourdes,

I can only repeat what I wrote earlier - 'good at' suggests that you have a particular ability at something and you do it well as in: Good at public speaking/at cooking/at learning languages and so on.

'Good on' suggests that you know a lot about something as in: Good on photography/on astronomy/on politics and so on.

Alan
Co-founder
Alan Townend

Good at vs. good on #6 (permalink) Wed Oct 24, 2012 15:30 pm   Good at vs. good on

Alan, you konow that my English Knowledge is very limited, excuse me if I am wrong, but to me there is only a faint diffeence between GOOD ON an GOOD AT in the phrases above. For example Neymar is very, very good as soccer player. He is expert in that matter. Is it incorrect to say that he is GOOD AT SOCCER? Regards.
Cristovam
I'm here quite often ;-)

What for? = why? | Expression: to be afraid of
ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on English Forums
To make the most of it?Does it naturallyl sound in English- The theme of our lesson is ---- Thanks forstart or begin...you know the sort you can depend onTest incompl/advan-82, Question 10Charley horse? What does it mean?What are quirks?what does furtive mean?Will vs. mightWhat kind of nap is that one?Difference between exhausting and exhaustiveIt's about timeLooking forward to hearing from you