to sign using the first letter or letters of a name
initial
economize
import
change

What does to cut corners mean?

cut and dried = only one possible approach/opinion | What is a "losing game"? Is it an idiom?
What does to cut corners mean? #1 (permalink) Tue Dec 28, 2010 17:39 pm   What does to cut corners mean?

The boss didn't think too highly of the new employee. He was lazy and cut ......... whenever possible.

(a) borders
(b) edges
(c) corners
(d) effort

The boss didn't think too highly of the new employee. He was lazy and cut corners whenever possible.

Correct answer: (c) corners
_________________________

...cut corners... cut /off/ a corner = go across the corner of something not properly around it.
Is it correct?
_________________

What does to cut corners mean? #2 (permalink) Tue Dec 28, 2010 17:54 pm   What does to cut corners mean?

That's its literal meaning, Kati.

Figuratively it means take shortcuts with the work and not complete a job thoroughly. Although it looks finished, it isn't of as high a standard as it appears to be.
_________________

In this story you'll learn everything about the passive voiceEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Learn how to explore English words! Subscribe to free email English course
What does to cut corners mean? #3 (permalink) Tue Dec 28, 2010 19:10 pm   What does to cut corners mean?

Hi Bz,
Thanks ,and I understand. The people try do sth as cheaply as possible, cut through the red tape.
Kati
_________________

accounting for this lossAn error in validitymaterially valid, complete and accurate.his day in the suncutting edge technologygoing for walksNet paycut above means betterIt doesn't cut the mustard....You really cut the Gordian knot...= you are really solved the problemcut some me some slack means leave me alone...cut off my nose to spite my face means to make things worsecut your deadline pretty fine