Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

strong; healthy
certain
robust
efficient
hidden
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

It doesn't cut the mustard....

ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
You really cut the Gordian knot...= you are really solved the problem | He can cut a rug means he is very good at dancing.
listening exercises
It doesn't cut the mustard.... #1 (permalink) Tue Dec 28, 2010 17:56 pm   It doesn't cut the mustard....

English Language Tests, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #328 "English Slang Idioms (49)", question 10

I bought a Harbor Freight electric drill, but it just doesn't cut the .......... It doesn't have enough power, and the battery dies quickly.

(a) cheese
(b) run
(c) spread
(d) mustard

English Language Tests, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #328 "English Slang Idioms (49)", answer 10

I bought a Harbor Freight electric drill, but it just doesn't cut the mustard. It doesn't have enough power, and the battery dies quickly.

Correct answer: (d) mustard

...but it doesn't cut the mustard ...=it means somebody meets requirements or is up to standards

You really cut the Gordian knot...= you are really solved the problem | He can cut a rug means he is very good at dancing.
ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on English Forums
cutting edge technologygoing for walksNet paycut above means bettercut some me some slack means leave me alone...cut off my nose to spite my face means to make things worsecut your deadline pretty fineWhat does to cut corners mean?cut and dried = only one possible approach/opinioncurry favor vs. carry favorWhat does thy mean?This room stinks!a slowly moving propeller