building; structure; the industry of erecting buildings
regular
review
construction
communication

Meaning of excursion

Whose vs. which | meaning of "In theory"
Meaning of excursion #1 (permalink) Sat Mar 11, 2006 20:23 pm   Meaning of excursion

English Synonym, Elementary Level

ESL/EFL Test #78 "Synonyms for trip and journey", question 9

This holiday company arranges lots of ......... for groups of people to go into the mountains and picnic by the river.

(a) tours
(b) paths
(c) excursions
(d) traffics

English Synonym, Elementary Level

ESL/EFL Test #78 "Synonyms for trip and journey", answer 9

This holiday company arranges lots of excursions for groups of people to go into the mountains and picnic by the river.

Correct answer: (c) excursions

This holiday company arranges lots of tours for groups of people to go into the mountains and picnic by the river.
_________________________

hi,
whta is excursion?
bittu
bittu

Excursion #2 (permalink) Sat Mar 11, 2006 20:40 pm   Excursion

An excursion is an outing or a day trip made for pleasure (a picnic, for example).

In this story you'll learn how to use the English articlesEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Have you read a good anecdote today? Subscribe to free email English course
Meaning of excursion #3 (permalink) Sat Nov 08, 2008 2:35 am   Meaning of excursion

Dear Tearchers

Can you explain the difference between "excursion" and "tour"?
Thank you
Thu
_________________
Reach an agreement as ploughing, don't let argument happen at crops.
Thunu

Location: Ha Noi, Viet Nam

Meaning of excursion #4 (permalink) Sat Nov 08, 2008 9:30 am   Meaning of excursion

Hi Thunu,

I would suggest:

'Excursion' is a journey/trip to a place of interest coming back on the same day.

'Tour' generally is visiting several places of interest over a period of days/weeks.

_________________

Meaning of excursion #5 (permalink) Fri Nov 20, 2009 16:21 pm   Meaning of excursion

Dear Alan
Thank you so much for this clear explanation.
Mahboubeh

Location: United States -WV

Meaning of excursion #6 (permalink) Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:11 am   Meaning of excursion

I have a question about tour? For your explanation, you said " tour" generally is visiting several places of interest over a period of days/weeks. Then, why we usualy say "join the local tour"? I am confused.

PS. This is the first time I write something on this forum. I am so excited.
Nicoleyu

Meaning of excursion #7 (permalink) Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:32 am   Meaning of excursion

Welcome to the site. The sentence you have quoted :
join the local tour
would suggest to me that you join a group of people who are being escorted/shown round a town or city by a guide. In other words a tour can be visiting places over a period of time and it could also mean as I have suggested going round one place of interest on one day. In the UK there are several stately homes of historical interest which you can visit. Usually you pay your entrance fee and then wait with other visitors until there are enough people for a guide to take you on a tour around the building.

Hope that helps.

_________________

Meaning of excursion #8 (permalink) Fri Jul 23, 2010 3:54 am   Meaning of excursion

As far as I understand making this test the difference between the trip and excursion is that we can have a picnic during the exursion? If I`m not right correct me please. By the way it`s so interesting to discover how the words work together. Dear language coaches, thanks for your wonderful voyages across The Language Ocean!!! :-)
Dina27

Meaning of excursion #9 (permalink) Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:43 am   Meaning of excursion

Hello DIna,

You could in fact have a picnic on an excursion because it is essentially out and back on the same day just for pleasure.

_________________
You can read my ESL story Passive Voice

What's my score?What does just as good mean?just after vs. right afterwhat's the meaning of business end?meaning of "put out"Idiom "He really sticks to his guns"Do you say 'You shouldn't shoot the gun'?Do you say 'gunning' for your job?It is a challenging exercises...idiom 'a smoking gun'term 'Hired gun'The murderer was gunned down or triggered down?How can I know?