performance; operation; attainment; mission; success
preference
achievement
feed
confidence

Survive = continue to live

teaching your wife to drive? | Using the word nearby
Survive = continue to live #1 (permalink) Sun Mar 12, 2006 22:04 pm   Survive = continue to live

ESL/EFL Test #33 "Flying across the Channel", question 8

The fact remains that he ......... and managed with the help of oxygen supplies to complete the crossing in ten minutes.

(a) lived
(b) continued
(c) achieved
(d) survived

ESL/EFL Test #33 "Flying across the Channel", answer 8

The fact remains that he survived and managed with the help of oxygen supplies to complete the crossing in ten minutes.

Correct answer: (d) survived
_________________________

continued?
sinus

Survive = continue to live #2 (permalink) Sun Mar 12, 2006 22:05 pm   Survive = continue to live

Here this means that he lived after the event - he survived - he continued to live.

_________________

What do you know about the progressive forms?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!This newsletter tells you all about English! Subscribe to free email English course
Survive = continue to live #3 (permalink) Tue Aug 13, 2013 16:18 pm   Survive = continue to live

a) lived
(b) continued
(c) achieved
(d) survived

I think that he achieved and managed with the help of oxygen supplies to complete the crossing in ten minutes.

For achieving the flying he needed oxygen-supplies. I accept the (d) [survived] answer is good also, but could I ask wether he achieved or not the flying?
_________________

Survive = continue to live #4 (permalink) Tue Aug 13, 2013 16:32 pm   Survive = continue to live

"He achieved" the flying is incorrect. He survived and managed is correct.

TOEIC listening, question-response: Where is the Stafford building?

Survive = continue to live #5 (permalink) Tue Aug 13, 2013 16:53 pm   Survive = continue to live

achieve = achieve something to succeed in reaching a particular goal, status or standard, especially by making an effort for a long time.

Could he achieve his goal or not? this would be my question.

Survive - unfortunately if somebody knows I know what it means when people can survive their days with oxygen supplies.

But there are some sport -for example alpinism/diving when the sportsmen need oxygen supplies to achieve their goal.
_________________

Survive = continue to live #6 (permalink) Tue Aug 13, 2013 17:02 pm   Survive = continue to live

Yes, he achieved his goal. You can achieve a goal but you can't "achieve flying". Flying across the channel was his goal which he achieved. Hope this makes sense.

TOEIC listening, question-response: Would you rather have juice or a soft drink?

Survive = continue to live #7 (permalink) Tue Aug 13, 2013 18:30 pm   Survive = continue to live

Okay, I suspected that it was a mistake that he " [achieving (the) flying"] (I should have written the crossing) My question would have been directed to the test question. I wanted to ask whether I see well that there are two good answers, (c) and (d)

a) lived
(b) continued
(c) achieved
(d) survived

Here the fact remains that he achieved and managed - with the help of oxygen supply - to complete the crossing.

Is this sentence good or not?
_________________

Survive = continue to live #8 (permalink) Tue Aug 13, 2013 18:46 pm   Survive = continue to live

Only one answer is correct. The verb 'achieve' is followed by an object (a noun):
He achieved his goal.
He achieved great success.
She achieved her purpose.

But:
She achieved to survive.

TOEIC listening, question-response: Are you going to the Christmas party?

Survive = continue to live #9 (permalink) Tue Aug 13, 2013 19:06 pm   Survive = continue to live

Hello Torsten,

Many thanks for your patience. I know that we can achieve sth / we can survive sth but after manage we use infinitive with to.
As the text shows:

The fact remains that he survived (the crossing) and managed -with the help of oxygen supplies- to complete the crossing in ten minutes.

_________________

Why "no cigar"?briefing vs. clearingWhat does proposed mean?Assure vs. assertMeaning of 'overrun'Meaning of 'would-be house buyer'Meaning of 'come into force'Difference between transpose and transferDifference between attached and includedWhat is the difference between goal and aim?What does this idiom mean: 'to get fired'?Question tagsI hear vs. I am hearing