Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

performance; operation; attainment; mission; success
preference
achievement
feed
confidence
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

Survive = continue to live

ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
teaching your wife to drive? | Using the word nearby
listening exercises
Survive = continue to live #1 (permalink) Sun Mar 12, 2006 22:04 pm   Survive = continue to live

English Language Proficiency Tests, Advanced Level

ESL/EFL Test #33 "Flying across the Channel", question 8

The fact remains that he ......... and managed with the help of oxygen supplies to complete the crossing in ten minutes.

(a) lived
(b) continued
(c) achieved
(d) survived

English Language Proficiency Tests, Advanced Level

ESL/EFL Test #33 "Flying across the Channel", answer 8

The fact remains that he survived and managed with the help of oxygen supplies to complete the crossing in ten minutes.

Correct answer: (d) survived

continued?
sinus

Survive = continue to live #2 (permalink) Sun Mar 12, 2006 22:05 pm   Survive = continue to live

Hi,

Here this means that he lived after the event - he survived - he continued to live.

Alan
Co-founder
Alan Townend

What do you know about the progressive forms?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!This newsletter tells you all about English! Subscribe to free email English course
Survive = continue to live #3 (permalink) Tue Aug 13, 2013 16:18 pm   Survive = continue to live

The fact remains that he ......... and managed with the help of oxygen supplies to complete the crossing in ten minutes.

a) lived
(b) continued
(c) achieved
(d) survived

I think that he achieved and managed with the help of oxygen supplies to complete the crossing in ten minutes.

For achieving the flying he needed oxygen-supplies. I accept the (d) [survived] answer is good also, but could I ask wether he achieved or not the flying?

Survive = continue to live #4 (permalink) Tue Aug 13, 2013 16:32 pm   Survive = continue to live

"He achieved" the flying is incorrect. He survived and managed is correct.

TOEIC listening, question-response: Where is the Stafford building?
Torsten
Learning Coach
Torsten Daerr

Survive = continue to live #5 (permalink) Tue Aug 13, 2013 16:53 pm   Survive = continue to live

achieve = achieve something to succeed in reaching a particular goal, status or standard, especially by making an effort for a long time.

Quote:
Could he achieve his goal or not? this would be my question.

Survive - unfortunately if somebody knows I know what it means when people can survive their days with oxygen supplies.

But there are some sport -for example alpinism/diving when the sportsmen need oxygen supplies to achieve their goal.

Survive = continue to live #6 (permalink) Tue Aug 13, 2013 17:02 pm   Survive = continue to live

Yes, he achieved his goal. You can achieve a goal but you can't "achieve flying". Flying across the channel was his goal which he achieved. Hope this makes sense.

TOEIC listening, question-response: Would you rather have juice or a soft drink?
Torsten
Learning Coach
Torsten Daerr

Survive = continue to live #7 (permalink) Tue Aug 13, 2013 18:30 pm   Survive = continue to live

Okay, I suspected that it was a mistake that he " [achieving (the) flying"] (I should have written the crossing) My question would have been directed to the test question. I wanted to ask whether I see well that there are two good answers, (c) and (d)

Quote:

a) lived
(b) continued
(c) achieved
(d) survived

Here the fact remains that he achieved and managed - with the help of oxygen supply - to complete the crossing.

Is this sentence good or not?

Survive = continue to live #8 (permalink) Tue Aug 13, 2013 18:46 pm   Survive = continue to live

Only one answer is correct. The verb 'achieve' is followed by an object (a noun):
He achieved his goal.
He achieved great success.
She achieved her purpose.

But:
She achieved to survive.

TOEIC listening, question-response: Are you going to the Christmas party?
Torsten
Learning Coach
Torsten Daerr

Survive = continue to live #9 (permalink) Tue Aug 13, 2013 19:06 pm   Survive = continue to live

Hello Torsten,

Many thanks for your patience. I know that we can achieve sth / we can survive sth but after manage we use infinitive with to.
As the text shows:

The fact remains that he survived (the crossing) and managed -with the help of oxygen supplies- to complete the crossing in ten minutes.

teaching your wife to drive? | Using the word nearby
ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on English Forums
Why "no cigar"?briefing vs. clearingWhat does proposed mean?Assure vs. assertMeaning of 'overrun'Meaning of 'would-be house buyer'Meaning of 'come into force'Difference between transpose and transferDifference between attached and includedWhat is the difference between goal and aim?What does this idiom mean: 'to get fired'?Question tagsI hear vs. I am hearing