Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

to make right; to amend
correct
remark
mitigate
persuade
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

Many vs. some/ much vs. many/ few vs. a little

ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
Difference between stick and adhere | She was wandering down the hall
listening exercises
Many vs. some/ much vs. many/ few vs. a little #1 (permalink) Tue Mar 14, 2006 20:38 pm   Many vs. some/ much vs. many/ few vs. a little

English Grammar Tests, Elementary Level

ESL/EFL Test #80 "Some, any, few, little", question 7

There are ......... people trying to go to the U2 concert this weekend.

(a) many
(b) much
(c) a little
(d) any

English Grammar Tests, Elementary Level

ESL/EFL Test #80 "Some, any, few, little", answer 7

There are many people trying to go to the U2 concert this weekend.

Correct answer: (a) many

sir please give me explanation and and answer for this question

S.Mathan
rehanna

Many vs. some/ much vs. many/ few vs. a little #2 (permalink) Wed Mar 15, 2006 8:08 am   Many vs. some/ much vs. many/ few vs. a little

Hi,
You have found the correct answer which is many.
You can't use much in this sentence because the noun "people" is countable and we use much only with uncountable nouns. Consider these:
much money
much time
much water

but

many people
many books
many shops, etc.

A little is also used with uncountable nouns with the meaning of "not much but enough".

Any is used in negative and interrogative sentences, so it doesn't fit here. Here is an example:

- Have you got any money with you? (any in questions)
- Yes, I have a little, I can pay for the coffee. (My money is enough to pay the bill.)

Hope this helps.
Daniela
Language Coach
Daniela Encheva

What do you know about the progressive forms?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!How many different ways with words do you know? Subscribe to free email English course
Many vs. some/ much vs. many/ few vs. a little #3 (permalink) Sat Dec 19, 2009 23:49 pm   Many vs. some/ much vs. many/ few vs. a little

Hi

Do we say 'the peoples of Europe' because it's referring to peoples from different nationalities?

Regards
Ali
Aliraf62
You can meet me at english-test.net

Many vs. some/ much vs. many/ few vs. a little #4 (permalink) Sun Dec 20, 2009 0:04 am   Many vs. some/ much vs. many/ few vs. a little

peoples is equivalent to nationalities. But people itself is the plural of person.

So, one person, two people.

My blog: http://calleteach.wordpress.com
OxfordBlues
I'm here quite often ;-)

Many vs. some/ much vs. many/ few vs. a little #5 (permalink) Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:48 am   Many vs. some/ much vs. many/ few vs. a little

I have found that the correct answer was many, but I would like to know if it wouldn't be better to use a lot of instead of many. I know this choice was not given in the exercise, but if I remember correctly, a lot of is to be used in affermative sentences whereas many is to be used in interrogative and negative sentences. Is it correct?

Thanks a lot for your help.
Diplo62
I'm new here and I like it ;-)

Many vs. some/ much vs. many/ few vs. a little #6 (permalink) Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:48 am   Many vs. some/ much vs. many/ few vs. a little

Generally, a native speaker would use either form interchangeably, with no difference in meaning, though 'many' is the more formal response.

There are a lot of people trying to go to the U2 concert this weekend.
Language Coach

Many vs. some/ much vs. many/ few vs. a little #7 (permalink) Sat Dec 03, 2011 14:15 pm   Many vs. some/ much vs. many/ few vs. a little

What's the difference
between 'some' and 'a few'?
For example:
I have got some tins.
I have got a few tins.
Alexgowest

Many vs. some/ much vs. many/ few vs. a little #8 (permalink) Sat Dec 03, 2011 15:01 pm   Many vs. some/ much vs. many/ few vs. a little

The only difference is that 'some' can indicate more than 'a few' can.

a few - an indefinite number but generally considered to be around 3 or 4.
some - an indefinite number more than 1 but up to a much higher range than 3 or 4.
Language Coach

Difference between stick and adhere | She was wandering down the hall
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
smotherednot as pronounced as it is currentlyThere's no hope for me?try on vs. try outIf you're not ready in five minutes, you're on your own..."I'm sure we'll make it" vs "I'm sure we'll take it"What does 'his little grey cells' mean?What does "well back" mean?provision vs. providerMeaning of phrasal verb "to wrap up"I just can't get across to her vs. get through to herConduct vs. guideWhat is the difference between 'move' and 'disappear? And which means step aside?