to obtain; to acquire; to get; to buy; to purchase
disagree
procure
frank
contest

choosing the right word

the imposter dissembled | what is jaywalking?
choosing the right word #1 (permalink) Mon Jan 24, 2011 21:48 pm   choosing the right word

Hello Dear Teachers,

I have a task to choose the word to suit the situation

1. An intense feeling of despair was ___ throughout the play.
a. conveyed b. signified. c. manifested d. recorded
I´m in doubt. I´d say ¨manifested¨, but i´m not sure.

2. Billy walked around in a ______ of confusion after he heard the news.
a. haze b. blaze c. maze d. craze
I think it´s ¨maze¨, but again I am not sure.

Could You please help me out and explain the difference between the words?

Thank You
Daryazu

choosing the right word #2 (permalink) Mon Jan 24, 2011 22:28 pm   choosing the right word

Have you tried looking the words up in a dictionary, Daryazu?
Learner's Dictionary
_________________

In this story you'll learn everything about the passive voiceEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is all you want to know about English! Click to subscribe to free email English course
choosing the right word #3 (permalink) Tue Jan 25, 2011 19:57 pm   choosing the right word

Dear Beeesneees,

Your question has offended me. The first thing I do before posting anything is is to look up the words in the dictionary. If it's a grammar question - to look up in all the books I have (Murphy, Hewings, Swan etc). I wouldn't have posted the question if I had found the answer in the first place.
Some of the words in the sentences I posted are close in meaning. I can't see the difference in "Manifest" and "convey" as they both have a connotation of "letting people know your feelings" if i understand it correctly.
And as for the second sentence there is no any example in the dictionary about "the maze of confusion" or "the haze of confusion".
May be for a native speaker there is no question of difference between these words, but for me there is, that was why I posted the question looking for help and not for a link to a dictionary which I have looked up as well as longman dictionary.
Daryazu

choosing the right word #4 (permalink) Tue Jan 25, 2011 21:41 pm   choosing the right word

I did not intend to cause offence, but I don't regret posting the link to a learner's dictionary. You might be amazed how many people don't bother. I also didn't assume - I asked whether you had looked.
You are a new poster and I cannot be expected to know your level of English or whether you had looked in a dictionary.
_________________

choosing the right word #5 (permalink) Tue Jan 25, 2011 21:51 pm   choosing the right word

conveyed - carried
manifested - displayed or shown clearly
So you were correct.

haze
3 [singular] a mental state in which your thoughts, feelings, etc. are not clear
an alcoholic haze
a haze of pain
from
http://www.oxfordadvancedlearnersdictionary.com/dictionary/haze
_________________

choosing the right word #6 (permalink) Tue Jan 25, 2011 22:02 pm   choosing the right word

Thank You
Daryazu

a left-handed complimentPompeii would remain buried....Prepositions before nouns?What does 'let's do lunch mean'?on our wayseek legal advice.head for the hillsheadphonesa ten-minute head startWhat does the word 'stash' mean?Hold your horsesPompeii sits on a spur of lava...Expression: 'hard of hearing'