to surround
circle
range
abolish
enlarge

Informal english?

Your feedback on the new shop? | Anyone "Linkedin"
Informal english? #1 (permalink) Mon Jan 31, 2011 22:29 pm   Informal english?

hi all,

I am from HK and I am a beginner of english. I've got few questions. Would you mind sparing me a few minutes =] ?

First, normal english textbooks teach formal english. My doubt is that in western country, do people, especially talking with their friends, usually use formal english?

Second, some words which are informal like "meh" and "noob" are seldom found in textbooks. How can I know more about the usage of these informal english?

Third, I know a sentence is grammatically correct. However, I am not quite sure if it is general enough to use in conversation. I ask this because sometimes although my sentence is grammatically correct which my friend know what I was saying , they told me that it is not common. So I would like to ask how to avoid this.

thanks so much!
Murasakik

Informal english? #2 (permalink) Mon Jan 31, 2011 22:43 pm   Informal english?

Mura
English is not like a lot of other languages in that there is no Formal and informal words

If you want to ask "what are you doing"?

There is only one version of it

You is you formal or informal

You can make it more informal with adding to it say

Hi Mura - what are you doing matey(london)
Hi Murs - what are you doing big lad (Belfast)
Hi Mura - what are you doing boyo (Hick land) Wales where Bev's from :-)

Not sure what you mean with the grammar?
Irish Lurker

Location: Card board box on the Ku'damm

What do you know about the progressive forms?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is all you want to know about English! Click to subscribe to free email English course
Informal english? #3 (permalink) Mon Jan 31, 2011 23:06 pm   Informal english?

Political Lurker wrote:
If you wanna ask "what are you doing"?
There is only one version of it

If you want to ask...

were Bevs from :-)

where Bev's from

I've ignored the other mistakes, including the one where you seem to have misspelled 'God's own country', h-i-c-k-l-a-n-d.
_________________

Informal english? #4 (permalink) Mon Jan 31, 2011 23:13 pm   Informal english?

And what about what the nice man is asking Beverly darling - my sweetie pie with sugar on top :-)
btw thats hilarious I've ignored the other ones including the one I didn't ignore :-)

Bev your the best :-)
Irish Lurker

Location: Card board box on the Ku'damm

Re: Informal english??? #5 (permalink) Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:30 am   Re: Informal english???

Murasakik wrote:

By watching hip movies and reading hip books.
You can't hone your English to absolute perfection just by perusing textbooks - the authors of textbooks are averse to including informal language (slang) for fear that their work will be frowned upon or even rejected by the "textbook authorities". They must stay within the purview of standard language that doesn't allow slang. And slang is a part and parsel of everyday's English, most people use slang a "helluva lot" ;)

Also, grammar is very important too, and textbooks will help you a great deal on that score, so don't throw your textbooks into the garbage can just yet. ;)

PS: many people say that English is a simple language. I say: the hell it is. Getting used to it is very challenging.
_________________

Informal english? #6 (permalink) Wed Feb 02, 2011 18:46 pm   Informal english?

wow thank you very much to you guys =]
Murasakik

Re: Informal english? #7 (permalink) Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:00 am   Re: Informal english?

Murasakik wrote:
hi all,

thanks so much!

Please note that the word 'English' is always capitalized. Learning the basics of the language will pay off big dividends in the long run.

TOEIC listening, photographs: The bridge.

Is the DVD on its way out?First film remote Amazon rainforest tribeCrocodile Dundee was GermanZeitgeist 3The Haunting in ConnecticutFemale Irish Travel writer Dervla Murphy to join Irish boat in flotilla to GazaProblems with interviewsWhich Microsoft Technologies will conquer the world of programming?Country I'd like to visitClay figures go homeMicrosoft Warns of MHTML Bug in WindowsTiffany is going to teach English in South KoreaOMG what is that?