since; inasmuch as; while; while on the contrary
whereas
unless
though
directly

back to the drawing board

Test incompl/inter-298, Question 3 | Meaning of mystify
back to the drawing board #1 (permalink) Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:16 am   back to the drawing board

"None of the ideas we came up with at the last meeting have worked. I guess we're back to the drawing .........," the manager informed her team.

(a) room
(b) paper
(c) medium
(d) board

"None of the ideas we came up with at the last meeting have worked. I guess we're back to the drawing board," the manager informed her team.

Correct answer: (d) board

_________________________

go back to the drawing board... Does it mean: you have to go back to the beginning and start something again..
1/2 test was similar: back to square = to return to the situation where you were in at the beginning of the project or a task.
3/5 test:back to the basics again is similar meaning that people need in a particular situation.= to think about the simple idea and things
_________________

back to the drawing board #2 (permalink) Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:15 pm   back to the drawing board

Hi Kati,

Yes, you are right. 'Back to the drawing board' is a positive expression because it accepts that you'll have to start again. 'Back to square one' has a slightly pessimistic flavour about it because you often use it when you are almost in despair as in: Oh well, we've failed again to achieve anything and it looks like we're back to square one!.

'Back to basics' often suggests returning to fundamental principles as in moral standards and behaviour.

_________________

Do you know how to use the relative pronoun?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Read these English anecdotes and maybe smile today? Subscribe to free email English course
I feel like I am at the end of my ropeat the drop of a hatYou are ahead of time...He was racing against the time...Idiom: actions speak louder than wordsidiom: He's a man after my own heartTest incompl/inter-298, Question 6Test incompl/inter-298, Question 10Test incompl/inter-298, Question 9Test incompl/inter-298, Question 8What is A1 quality?Turn to a page...What is 'a lick and a promise'?