clear; obvious; apparent
legal
evident
frank
conscientious

Meaning of 'errand'

you(s) own vs you(p) own | meaning of pounded
Meaning of 'errand' #1 (permalink) Fri Mar 17, 2006 19:13 pm   Meaning of 'errand'

Synonyms Lesson, Advanced Level

ESL/EFL Test #112 "Synonyms for error and fault", question 4

Without her glasses she made a ......... and filled in the wrong form.

(a) error
(b) blunder
(c) lapse
(d) fault

Synonyms Lesson, Advanced Level

ESL/EFL Test #112 "Synonyms for error and fault", answer 4

Without her glasses she made a blunder and filled in the wrong form.

Correct answer: (b) blunder
_________________________

what the meanign of 'errand"?
and another queston is about HAVE-what is "rumor has is that he quit"and" the coat has had it" ?and please explain 'have it out'& 'have it in for' ....
thanks alot
bittu
Farid

Errand #2 (permalink) Sat Mar 18, 2006 7:55 am   Errand

Errand is a short journey either to take a message or to deliver or collect something.
As for "rumor has is that he quit" it's not complete I think, but the closest I can think of is something like "people are talking that he quit/ stopped..."
"The coat has had it" would mean "this coat can't be used anymore, it can't be repaired or something".
"Have it in for (someone)" would mean "to intend/ mean to harm someone" but it's probably better if you can provide the complete sentence. "Have it out" would mean "to settle an argument especially by a discussion" but again, it's hard to say when it's out of the sentence/text.
Hope this helps a bit.
Daniela
_________________
English Language Learning Online
Learn English with Daniela
Daniela
Daniela Encheva

Location: Bulgaria

In this story you'll learn everything about the passive voiceEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Start exploring the English language today! Subscribe to free email English course
Expression: rumour has it... #3 (permalink) Sat Mar 18, 2006 9:20 am   Expression: rumour has it...

Hi Farid,

You asked:

and another queston is about HAVE-what is "rumor has is that he quit"

Rumour has it that he quit
means the story goes that he quit (left (a job)). This means that it's not absolutely definite that he quit but that's what people are saying happened.

_________________

Expression: rumour has it... #4 (permalink) Sun Mar 19, 2006 0:36 am   Expression: rumour has it...

Hi Farid,

You asked:

Rumour has it that he quit

hi ,
thanks very much for your exalanation ......
actually all i want to know is some sentences about them....

Expression: rumour has it... #5 (permalink) Sun Mar 19, 2006 11:43 am   Expression: rumour has it...

hi ,
thanks very much for your explanation ......
actually all I want to know is some sentences about them....

Here are a few examples of usage for the words and phrases in question:

Hes on an errand for his mother; she always wants him to run errands for her.

Rumour has it that he is going to marry his boss (it is not necessarily true that he is).

The old carpet is beyond repair: I think it has had it.

The politician was brave enough to speak her mind. But now the opposition party has it in for her (i.e. intends to make trouble for her).

You can have it out with people without getting violent.

If you are not happy with this situation, have it out with them and clear the air
.

Expression: rumour has it... #6 (permalink) Mon Mar 20, 2006 17:20 pm   Expression: rumour has it...

hi, thanksssssssssssss alot for giving these examples

Meaning of 'errand' #7 (permalink) Sat Apr 10, 2010 7:34 am   Meaning of 'errand'

By no means "blunder" fits here:
According to:
Dear learner,
When you make a serious mistake which involves/ affects other people, this is a blunder. BLUNDER is the correct answer here because obviously the driver's mistake affects the passengers.
Daniela

or
1. a stupid or clumsy mistake
2. a foolish tactless remark

Conclusion: a mistake isn't stupid & doesn't affect others. I assume that just "a mistake" would be enough?!
Just don't tell me you consider her being clumsy.
_________________
I find your Lack of Faith disturbing!
The Force is out there!
Gheon

Location: Center of Universe, Jedi Academy

Meaning of 'errand' #8 (permalink) Sat Apr 10, 2010 10:45 am   Meaning of 'errand'

'She made a mistake and filled in the wrong form' would be an alternative, but there's nothing wrong with use of the word 'blunder' here. There is no inference that the woman herself is stupid. It is the mistake that is 'stupid'.

As well as 'a stupid or clumsy mistake', it can also mean 'a silly mistake', as in a mistake which could easily have been avoided (under different circumstances or with a little more forethought - in this case, if she hadn't forgotten her glasses).

I hope this makes it clearer.
_________________

Asking about this particular questionwhat does insecurity mean?I've got my mind set on youWhat does 'the devil's advocate' mean?Don't forget to buy Monica a present...Meaning of 'Put money towards'"to buy out" vs. "to buy up".Difference between all synonyms of 'exchange'Thrash versus strikeStrike versus beatHow do you use STRIKE, POUNDED and BEAT?"well done" vs. "well made"Strike vs. whip