Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

superior; extraordinary; outstanding
hard
excellent
fundamental
assistant
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

Idiom: broke as a joke

ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
bringing a knife to a gunfight | good to go
listening exercises
Idiom: broke as a joke #1 (permalink) Thu Feb 10, 2011 14:22 pm   Idiom: broke as a joke

English Language Tests, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #311 "English Slang Idioms (32)", question 3

He told them that he couldn't afford to go to the concert. He had just paid for car repairs and he was now broke as a ..........

(a) bun
(b) tool
(c) bear
(d) joke

English Language Tests, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #311 "English Slang Idioms (32)", answer 3

He told them that he couldn't afford to go to the concert. He had just paid for car repairs and he was now broke as a joke.

Correct answer: (d) joke

http://www.usingenglish.com/reference/idioms/broke+as+a+joke+and+it+ain't+funny.html

Idiom: broke as a joke #2 (permalink) Thu Feb 10, 2011 14:27 pm   Idiom: broke as a joke

Who wrote this explanation says: In my opinion this idiom describes...

Even what explanations can exist?

kati Svaby

Do you know how to use the relative pronoun?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is all you want to know about English! Click to subscribe to free email English course
Idiom: broke as a joke #3 (permalink) Thu Feb 10, 2011 19:10 pm   Idiom: broke as a joke

Hello Kati,

I have never heard this idiom, but to me it simply means 'I'm completely broke'.
Obviously the writer of that answer wasn't absolutely sure of the meaning, so he clarified that it was his opinion only.

Perhaps you would prefer this definition?
http://www.kgbanswers.com/where-did-the-saying-broke-as-a-joke-come-from/4408544
Language Coach

Idiom: broke as a joke #4 (permalink) Thu Feb 10, 2011 21:16 pm   Idiom: broke as a joke

I have never heard anyone use this expression as an idiom, either.

'Broke as a Joke' is apparently the name of a sort of TV series (web-based) from ca. 2009. However, I had never heard of that before, either. I found just now it in a Google search. lol

bringing a knife to a gunfight | good to go
ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on English Forums
a real burr under my saddle?Test incompl/inter-311, Question 10Test incompl/inter-311, Question 8Test incompl/inter-311, Question 7Test incompl/inter-311, Question 6Test incompl/inter-311, Question 4Test incompl/inter-311, User's Answer 1Test incompl/inter-310, Answer 10Do you want some water? vs Have you got any water?What does the phrasal verb 'take off' mean?why is have you turned skinny wrong?Why should we use COULD as the answer?Phrasal conjunction 'as if'