railing; hedge; ability to argue; person who sells stolen goods
fence
date
commodity
general

Spelling errors in newspapers

English trainer | Does anybody can check my essay ??
Spelling errors in newspapers #1 (permalink) Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:48 am   Spelling errors in newspapers

Spelling errors in newspapers?
I have seen an increase in recent years in the amount of spelling errors in newspapers and other news media. Now, I am not saying my spelling and grammar are perfect - Torsten is forever correcting mine - but then again I am not writing for a newspaper with over a million subscribers. I feel like if you are working for some news organization you can at least, at the very minimum run a spell check program.

Here are two I saw today:

"As she would walking to store, all of a sudden she heard...."

"And when he arrived, nobody wasn't there....."

I found these two in a major national newspaper, and I thought to myself "I just paid 80p for a newspaper where the person writing the article didn't even bother to have someone look over the article for spelling and grammatical errors before publishing it".?
Irish Lurker

Location: Card board box on the Ku'damm

Spelling errors in newspapers #2 (permalink) Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:23 am   Spelling errors in newspapers

It's worse than that!
The copy editor would have looked over the article for spelling and grammatical errors - and glaring errors still get through.
I know that there are time constraints, but I agree that instances are becoming far more common.
_________________

Learn to use the present simple with the help of this short storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Learn how to explore English words! Subscribe to free email English course
Spelling errors in newspapers #3 (permalink) Mon Feb 14, 2011 0:42 am   Spelling errors in newspapers

Nice one

Irish Lurker

Location: Card board box on the Ku'damm

Spelling errors in newspapers #4 (permalink) Tue Feb 15, 2011 19:08 pm   Spelling errors in newspapers

One of the reasons for the increase in spelling errors in newspapers and other publications (I know this from direct professional experience) is that the proofreaders and copy editors don't read from printed copy anymore. They now proofread on the computer screen, and it's well known that it's much harder to catch mistakes on the screen than it is on paper.

When I was a magazine copy editor, we always printed out every draft, because we knew that on the screen we would miss things. This is being done less and less, partly to save the cost of the paper, and partly out of eco-guilt. (The US has well-managed forests and more trees than it did in 1776, and paper is a renewable, recyclable, biodegradable resource, but eco-guilt has no bounds.)

Spelling errors in newspapers #5 (permalink) Wed Feb 16, 2011 0:06 am   Spelling errors in newspapers

Jamie - I would say if anything British Newspapers are worse for spelling errors than US ones... I just meant Western Media in General.
Irish Lurker

Location: Card board box on the Ku'damm

Cannabinoids Kill Cancer and Our Government Has Known for 36 Yearsfellow Premier League clubIdentity theftJustin Bieber says learn and teach English @ English-test.netUS oil giant Chevron fined $8.6bn (5.3bn) for polluting Amazon regionUrgent :Reply to an invitation for campus recruitment??Going on and onReading in Englishlooking for penfriendInterested in Words?FORMER DIRECTOR us ARMY WAR COLLEGE "9/11 was a Mossad operation".The FighterEnglish books