advantage; profit; help; benefit
promise
passage
degree
avail

Test incompl/inter-323, Question 3

Test incompl/inter-323, User's Answer 2 | Test incompl/inter-324, User's Answer 4
Test incompl/inter-323, Question 3 #1 (permalink) Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:48 am   Test incompl/inter-323, Question 3

"The boss said that we'd get a bonus soon? Don't count on it. It'll be a ......... day in hell before he gives us one," Rod said to Nate.

(a) warm
(b) cold
(c) deep
(d) long

"The boss said that we'd get a bonus soon? Don't count on it. It'll be a cold day in hell before he gives us one," Rod said to Nate.

Correct answer: (b) cold
_________________________

It'll be a cold day in hell = Does it mean when this can happen when is cold day in the hell. Never.

There is an other idiom for it:on the Greek calands
_________________

Test incompl/inter-323, Question 3 #2 (permalink) Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:59 am   Test incompl/inter-323, Question 3

'Hell' is usually depicted as a hot place full of fire and brimstone.
It would never be cold.
So 'a cold day in hell' = never.
It will be a cold day in hell before he gets up on stage to sing.

A similar saying is
'He doesn't stand a snowball's chance in hell!'
He stands no chance, because a snowball, being made of ice, would instantly melt in a place as hot as hell is depicted to be.
You don't stand a snowball's chance in hell of getting him up on stage to sing.

Another is
'Hell will freeze over' / '... when hell freezes over' for the same reason.
He will get up on stage and sing when hell freezes over.
Hell will freeze over before he will get up on stage and sing.

To add to your comment: the expression about the Greek calends (or kalends) is not a common one in English. It derives from the Latin 'ad kalendas graecas' (to the Greek Kalends) and indicates an indefinite postponement, because the Greek calendar had no calends. Therefore 'the Greek calends' is a point/time that doesn't exist.
He will get up on stage and sing on the Greek calends.
(calend = the first day of each month of the Roman calendar)
_________________

Learn to use the present simple with the help of this short storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is how you can learn English the fun way! Click to subscribe to free email English course
Test incompl/inter-326, Question 8Test incompl/inter-325, Question 6Test incompl/inter-325, Question 5Test incompl/inter-325, Question 4Test incompl/inter-325, Question 3Test incompl/inter-325, Question 2Test incompl/inter-325, User's Answer 10Test incompl/inter-324, Question 9Test incompl/inter-324, Question 5Test incompl/inter-322, User's Answer 10to have a clean sheetWhat's the difference between fare and tariff?What does the phrasal verb 'take off' mean?