incentive; drive; inspiration; state of being stirred to action
relief
transaction
owner
motivation

Test incompl/inter-324, User's Answer 4

Test incompl/inter-323, Question 3 | Test incompl/inter-324, Question 9
Test incompl/inter-324, User's Answer 4 #1 (permalink) Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:00 am   Test incompl/inter-324, User's Answer 4

He didn't know why, but whenever there was a car show in town, all of the weird people came out of the ..........

(a) ground
(b) bridge
(c) woodwork
(d) closet

He didn't know why, but whenever there was a car show in town, all of the weird people came out of the woodwork.

Correct answer: (c) woodwork

_________________________

...come / crawl out of the woodwork = does it mean it/ he/ she etc. has suddenly appeared in order to express opinion or to take an advantage of a situation.?
here: the weird people appeared unexpectedly.?
_________________

Test incompl/inter-324, User's Answer 4 #2 (permalink) Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:09 am   Test incompl/inter-324, User's Answer 4

Not quite, Kati, but you're on the right tracks.

This idiom is often seen as 'crawl out of the woodwork'. The expression alludes insects that suddenly come out from the interior wooden fittings of a building, such as under the boards in a house.

There is no indication in the idiom that they are going to take advantage of a situation - it simply means that they appeared unexpectedly.

It is often said about someone who is not invited or wanted - but this is not always the case.
negative: "People will be coming out of the woodwork to give you unwanted advice about that."
positive: "We've missed you! When did you decide to crawl out of the woodwork?"
_________________

Want to learn about the future tenses? Read this story and smileEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is how you can learn English the fun way! Click to subscribe to free email English course
Test incompl/inter-326, Question 8Test incompl/inter-326, User's Answer 10Test incompl/inter-325, Question 6Test incompl/inter-325, Question 5Test incompl/inter-325, Question 4Test incompl/inter-325, Question 3Test incompl/inter-325, Question 2Test incompl/inter-325, User's Answer 10Test incompl/inter-324, Question 5Test incompl/inter-323, User's Answer 2Test incompl/inter-322, User's Answer 10to have a clean sheetWhat's the difference between fare and tariff?