Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

preciseness; exactness
assembly
accuracy
rectangle
back
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

horrendous vs. viable

ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
Expressions: 'at night' vs. 'for night' | Surely vs. certainly
listening exercises
horrendous vs. viable #1 (permalink) Sat Feb 12, 2011 19:38 pm   horrendous vs. viable

English Grammar Tests, Elementary Level

ESL/EFL Test #297 "Bedbugs!", question 3

The history of the ......... bedbug dates back to some of the earliest civilizations.

(a) incontinent
(b) infestations
(c) horrendous
(d) viable

English Grammar Tests, Elementary Level

ESL/EFL Test #297 "Bedbugs!", answer 3

The history of the horrendous bedbug dates back to some of the earliest civilizations.

Correct answer: (c) horrendous

Your answer was: incorrect
The history of the viable bedbug dates back to some of the earliest civilizations.

The history of the horrendous/ viable bedbug dates back to some of the earliest civilizations.

-I chose "viable" in the test and it turned to be incorrect. Why?
Best regards
Eugene2114
I'm a Communicator ;-)

horrendous vs. viable #2 (permalink) Sat Feb 12, 2011 20:03 pm   horrendous vs. viable

Hello Eugene,

This is a particularly tough question.
As 'viable' can mean 'capable of living or surviving successfully' (a description which can be applied to the bedbugs), it would not usually be used in the manner required in this sentence.
However, it does seem unfair, so perhaps the original test writer will reconsider its inclusion as an option.
Language Coach

Do you know how to use the relative pronoun?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!This newsletter tells you all about English! Subscribe to free email English course
horrendous vs. viable #3 (permalink) Sat Feb 12, 2011 20:30 pm   horrendous vs. viable

Hi,

I feel that 'viable' would not work with 'bedbugs' because it has no reference to the circumstances in which it would survive, which would be its particular use for plants and animals and with reference to bed bugs in relation to other creatures. My only concern is with the level. I think 'elementary' isn't suitable given the vocabulary.

Alan
Co-founder
Alan Townend

horrendous vs. viable #4 (permalink) Sat Feb 12, 2011 21:45 pm   horrendous vs. viable

Thanks both Beees and Alan. I agree with Alan as to the suitability of the test question.
Best regards.
Eugene2114
I'm a Communicator ;-)

horrendous vs. viable #5 (permalink) Sat Feb 12, 2011 22:07 pm   horrendous vs. viable

This same test can also be found in the 'intermediate' section, so there is obviously an error of some kind.
http://www.english-test.net/esl/learn/english/grammar/ii885/esl-test.php

Compared to the other tests in the 'elementary' category, this one also seems to involve a lot of reading (though the vocabulary is simpler than the bedbugs test).
http://www.english-test.net/esl/learn/english/grammar/ei298/esl-test.php
Language Coach

Expressions: 'at night' vs. 'for night' | Surely vs. certainly
ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on English Forums
run the gamutMaking vs GoingPresent perfect simple and continuous..job offer.on its back legsI went to the barber shopidiom: to eat a horseTest incompl/inter-326, Question 8I bought grocery stuff or groceries?Test incompl/inter-326, User's Answer 10Test incompl/inter-325, Question 6Test incompl/inter-325, Question 5Test incompl/inter-325, Question 4