apparently; seemingly; to all appearances
originally
yearly
necessarily
ostensibly

polish the silverware

Break out in hives? | a row of tippie tents
polish the silverware #1 (permalink) Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:27 am   polish the silverware

ESL/EFL Test #211 "Opposite Meanings (2)", question 5

Please polish the silverware so that it's .......... I don't like dull utensils.

(a) shiny
(b) huge
(c) dry
(d) light

ESL/EFL Test #211 "Opposite Meanings (2)", answer 5

Please polish the silverware so that it's shiny. I don't like dull utensils.

Correct answer: (a) shiny

Please polish the silverware so that it's light. I don't like dull utensils.
_________________________

Why simple present is used in this sentence?
Shouldn't it be "it will be shiny?"
Alesger

Location: Azerbaijan

polish the silverware #2 (permalink) Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:22 am   polish the silverware

Native speakers normally use present for future in such dependent clauses.
_________________

How do you use the English Prepositions correctly?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Read these English anecdotes and maybe smile today? Subscribe to free email English course
polish the silverware #3 (permalink) Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:45 am   polish the silverware

Thank you, Mister Micawber
Alesger

Location: Azerbaijan

polish the silverware #4 (permalink) Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:26 am   polish the silverware

Would 'silverware' be like 'kitchenware' but the difference is that they're made in silver?
Puppet

polish the silverware #5 (permalink) Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:08 pm   polish the silverware

'Silverware' - knives, forks, spoons, other metallic kitchen and dining instruments, silver (or at least silver in appearance) platters, etc.
_________________

polish the silverware #6 (permalink) Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:46 am   polish the silverware

Hi Bee,

No, I was asking about whether 'silverware' would be limited to kitchen thing that made in silver? Is it merley for kitchen tools?
Puppet

polish the silverware #7 (permalink) Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:55 am   polish the silverware

Most usually for kitchen and dining instruments as I said, but also for other silver, particularly trophies:

He is an excellent swimmer and has a display cabinet full of silverware to prove the point.
_________________

polish the silverware #8 (permalink) Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:04 am   polish the silverware

Puppet

polish the silverware #9 (permalink) Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:13 am   polish the silverware

Hi Puppet,

'Silverware' simply means things made of silver and isn't limited to any particular items. In the same way 'earthenware' describes fired clay (pottery). In the world of computing 'hardware' refers to things like computers themselves and other bits of equipment and 'software' refers to programs.

_________________

polish the silverware #10 (permalink) Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:09 am   polish the silverware

I stand by what I said in message #7.
_________________

polish the silverware #11 (permalink) Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:50 am   polish the silverware

Hi Puppet,

It didn't come to me that "silverware" like silver thing as well as "hardware" like hard things or "earthenware" and so forth. Very nice explanation plus what Beee added in her reply no.7

Thank you very much, indeed.
Puppet

wildlifeat our head office vs. in our head officeThat in a non-defining clause?What does 'chip in' mean?Where should we goone traditional inflation hedgetake or drink tea?spirit your son awayTest incompl/inter-338, Question 6Test incompl/inter-337, Question 5Don't take any wooden nickelsWhat does "draw on your eyes" mean?'what' vs. 'which'