Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

besides; aside from
beneath
considering
despite
outside
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

To Drinking and to Drink

ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
bond ratio | talking with tourist
listening exercises
To Drinking and to Drink #1 (permalink) Wed Feb 16, 2011 16:15 pm   To Drinking and to Drink

Hello,
I was reading some nutrition news and i found this:

I would like to know, why in this sentence they put TO DRINKING and not TO DRINK; well....
As i am concerned when we use the gerund, we put FOR, " FOR DRINKING", or we use the infinitive TO DRINK, but never together " TO DRINKING".
is there any exception for that?

Please, could someone explain to me...

Thanks in addition..

:)

Regards,
Yeleandraht
You can meet me at english-test.net

To Drinking and to Drink #2 (permalink) Fri Feb 18, 2011 0:24 am   To Drinking and to Drink

'To' is not always the infinitive particle; it is also a preposition. Here it is associated with an adjective, which is a reasonably common formation, and its prepositional object is, of course, a noun - a gerund:

Equivalent to drinking
Looking forward to seeing
Addicted to snowboarding

etc.

Learn all about English adverbs in this amusing storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Read these English anecdotes and maybe smile today? Subscribe to free email English course
bond ratio | talking with tourist
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
the birth of their first childmake herself at homedelay his retirement.I'd rather have coffee than have tea.man in the streetgiven an awardIf you would like for me to do smththis soup is betterYes, I doday loanslining his pocketsmonks transported the coffee beansIt had a bright and breezy look to it?