Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

to provide with a combustible substance that provides energy
brief
customize
fuel
motivate
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

If you would like for me to do smth

ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
It had a bright and breezy look to it? | I'd rather have coffee than have tea.
listening exercises
If you would like for me to do smth #1 (permalink) Thu Feb 17, 2011 15:27 pm   If you would like for me to do smth

Hi there!

I was literally astounded to see Google find a hell of a lot of phrases like this:

"If you would like for me to do smth..."

Is it a legitimate construction in English?

I've always thought it should be "...would like me to do smth for you"

Thanks!
Oirobi

If you would like for me to do smth #2 (permalink) Fri Feb 18, 2011 0:08 am   If you would like for me to do smth

The example you found isn't grammatically correct.
Language Coach

Can you find all the prepositions in this story?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!How many different ways with words do you know? Subscribe to free email English course
If you would like for me to do smth #3 (permalink) Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:28 pm   If you would like for me to do smth

Beeesneees wrote:
The example you found isn't grammatically correct.

Thank you, Beeesneees!
Oirobi

If you would like for me to do smth #4 (permalink) Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:54 pm   If you would like for me to do smth

Quote:
"If you would like for me to do smth..."

Is it a legitimate construction in English?

Hi Oirobi,

That sort of construction is "legitimate" and idiomatic in English in that it is commonly used -- at least it is common in American English. As far as I know, however, this usage is basically unknown in Britain.

I'd say the usage is informal, but it is nevertheless quite natural on the American side of the pond. It would not be at all unusual to hear it in casual conversation. The form without the word 'for' is also in common use here.

If you would like for me to do smth #5 (permalink) Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:37 am   If you would like for me to do smth

Esl_Expert wrote:
That sort of construction is "legitimate" and idiomatic in English in that it is commonly used -- at least it is common in American English.

Thank you Mr Esl Expert! ((-$

I thought so, because if you google it, you'll get a great many search results. But you made it clear and you both made it clear it is not good for formal writing.

For that matter, is it natural to say "allows for deletion of pages", "allows for deletion of an activity record" instead of the normal "allows deletion of pages"? I presume it's colloquial too, innit?

Thank you!
Oirobi

It had a bright and breezy look to it? | I'd rather have coffee than have tea.
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
putting the hard yackerblack and white stripesodd-lot orderspoor people around the worldthe birth of their first childmake herself at homedelay his retirement.man in the streetbond ratiogiven an awardTo Drinking and to Drinktalking with touristlining his pockets