rivalry; contest; act of competing against another
competition
edge
access
definition

Identity theft

Cannabinoids Kill Cancer and Our Government Has Known for 36 Years | Top ex-oilfield executive says Gulf op a depopulation event. 100,000 now sick
Identity theft #1 (permalink) Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:19 pm   Identity theft

Have you ever suffered from it, been a victim of it? I'm talking about identity theft. I've just had a lengthy chat with a large credit card company and the guy there was trying to persuade me that I needed insurance against it. It would cost me about 80 a year. Well, I said, I'll think about it. The nearest I've ever experienced to that was when some jokers in Colombo, Sri Lanka got hold of my debit card details and helped themselves to some 500 from my bank account. Fortunately the bank thought surely I couldn't be happily shopping in my local department store some 20 miles north of London at 2pm on a Saturday afternoon and then half an hour later drawing out 500 from a cash machine some 5,500 miles away in Colombo. Now, that would be really moving!

_________________

Re: Identity theft #2 (permalink) Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:31 pm   Re: Identity theft

Hi Alan,

No, I've never fallen victim to identity theft.
I know identity theft is a real plague and a score of victims got swindled by unscrupulous crooks. It is especially rampant on the internet.

I couldn't be happily shopping in my local department store some 20 miles north of London at 2pm on a Saturday afternoon and then half an hour later drawing out 500 from a cash machine some 5,500 miles away in Colombo.

Wow! Unless you have a really fast means of transportation at your disposal, that would be virtually impossible!
_________________

Want to learn about the future tenses? Read this story and smileEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Sign up for FREE and explore English! Click to subscribe to email English course
Identity theft #3 (permalink) Sat Feb 19, 2011 16:45 pm   Identity theft

Hi Alan,

I've never been the victim of identity theft, thank goodness. But about a year ago, I looked at my bank account statement and saw that some company I never heard of had taken money out of my account. I checked with the bank, and they said there was no foul play at all. When I researched the name of the company on the Internet, I found out that they are a magazine subscription service, one of those "doorstep brigades". They somehow get their hands on people's addresses, phone numbers and bank accounts, and use that information to their advantage. I have no idea how they got their hands on my bank account number, because I don't give out that kind of info easily. I called the bank and told them that I never ordered a subscription and had them book the money back to my account. That did the trick: I never heard from that company again.

Claudia
Cgk

Location: Franconia, Germany, Illinois, USA

Identity theft #4 (permalink) Sat Feb 19, 2011 21:37 pm   Identity theft

Hi Alan
I had less than 1000.00 Deutsche Mark (can't remember exactly) taken from my account in Berlin about 12 years ago.

All the person did was fill in a credit transfer from my account into his.
Because the amount was less than 1000 DM the signature wasn't "Proofed"(checked)
My Account details were on the bottom of every Bill I ever wrote in Germany - for any Tom Dick or Harry to copy.So I suppose it was quite tempting.

i had to go to the police and fill in some forms give some papers to the bank and then I got the money back a few weeks later.

The account the money went into was called - "Danke Carsten"

If I remember correctly - the guy they caught for it is now Chief Executive of the Deutsche Bank :-)
Irish Lurker

Location: Card board box on the Ku'damm

Identity theft #5 (permalink) Sat Feb 19, 2011 22:03 pm   Identity theft

Cgk wrote:
Hi Alan,

I've never been the victim of identity theft, thank goodness. But about a year ago, ...

Claudia

That sounds like a form of identity theft to me, Claudia!

I've had some online 'purchases' made on my credit card. From what I recall there were 3 or 4 purchases made from one telecoms company over 2 or 3 days, but the bank got suspicious very quickly - certainly long before I had any knowledge of the transactions. They phoned me up for confirmation (or otherwise).

They cancelled the card straight away and sent me a new one. They also sent a statement and asked me to identify any transactions I hadn't made. Then they very quickly refunded the total amount and I left any chasing up of the criminal party to them.

The hassle of being without a credit card for about 3 days and having to identify some rogue transactions would have happened whether I had insurance or not. I don't feel this particular incident would be worth 80 a year though it might have been very different if the bank hadn't been so alert. I guess it depends on how much peace of mind you want/they can deliver.

Alan, if you haven't already done so, one thing I would suggest is that you check any "bonus benefits" that you currently have from bank accounts, etc. (I hope you know what I mean - things like free travel insurance and phone insurance or car breakdown cover from your bank because you hold a particular account.) I subsequently found out that with my bank account, I get a certain amount of free identity theft insurance.
_________________

Identity theft #6 (permalink) Sat Feb 19, 2011 23:50 pm   Identity theft

The source of the scam was traced to a garage locally where information from debit cards was simply passed on. They even set up an atm on the site, which would have given them an even wider scope. That has now been removed and if I ever go to the garage to get fuel, I always pay cash now!

_________________

Identity theft #7 (permalink) Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:25 am   Identity theft

Beeesneees wrote:

You're right. Come to think of it, it was indeed a form of identity theft.

The amount they took out of my account was too small to bother the police with, I suppose. These crooks love to withdraw small amounts like 8.99 or 9.99, firstly because, as Political Lurker has already mentioned, it's not checked. Secondly, they hope that the account owner doesn't pay attention and therefore won't notice. Quite an effective strategy. If you take ten Euros or Dollars from 50,000 people, you're still going to carry off half a million.

Claudia
Cgk

Identity theft #8 (permalink) Sun Feb 20, 2011 18:56 pm   Identity theft

Good way to earn some dosh! Well, not good.

_________________
You can read my ESL story Passive Voice

Hi every one,Just like Google Reader!Ever went hungry - Welcome to ManchesterSmugnessdo you want to speak english with me?Anonymous' Hacker Group Teaches Shady Cyber-Security Companies a LessonOMG what now? - A 3D Phone?fellow Premier League clubJustin Bieber says learn and teach English @ English-test.netUS oil giant Chevron fined $8.6bn (5.3bn) for polluting Amazon regionUrgent :Reply to an invitation for campus recruitment??Does anybody can check my essay ??Spelling errors in newspapers