custody; property; asset; control; ownership
forward
implication
tax
possession

putting the hard yacker

Phrasal verb "find out" | Expression: behaves in a crazy manner
putting the hard yacker #1 (permalink) Mon Feb 21, 2011 19:48 pm   putting the hard yacker

- Crawley are still putting the hard yacker in at Old Trafford - fair play to them. United as an attacking force are almost non-existent now.
- Would anybody kindly explain me the meaning of "putting...".
Thanks in advance.
Eugene2114

putting the hard yacker #2 (permalink) Mon Feb 21, 2011 19:52 pm   putting the hard yacker

I have no idea. I know that sports commentators sometimes seem to have their own non-English vocabulary but is it possible you might have misheard it or did you read it?

From the context, I'd guess it means something like 'hard work' or 'standing their ground and fighting'.
_________________

Learn to use the present simple with the help of this short storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Read these English anecdotes and maybe smile today? Subscribe to free email English course
putting the hard yacker #3 (permalink) Mon Feb 21, 2011 20:33 pm   putting the hard yacker

Thank you Beees,
I vagued whether it had any sense at all, but I chanced to meet an Australian slang site which put it as follows:"hard yacker. Also hard yakka. Hard work.". So, your insight was keen and helpful. But Manchester isnít
too close to Australia, I guess?..
Regards.
Eugene2114

What is a parking lot?What are scarecrows?the first few pages of the bookContracts ariseblack and white stripesodd-lot orderspoor people around the worldthe birth of their first childmake herself at homedelay his retirement.I'd rather have coffee than have tea.If you would like for me to do smthbreathing his last.