Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

custody; property; asset; control; ownership
forward
implication
tax
possession
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

putting the hard yacker

ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
Phrasal verb "find out" | Expression: behaves in a crazy manner
listening exercises
putting the hard yacker #1 (permalink) Mon Feb 21, 2011 19:48 pm   putting the hard yacker

- Crawley are still putting the hard yacker in at Old Trafford - fair play to them. United as an attacking force are almost non-existent now.
- Would anybody kindly explain me the meaning of "putting...".
Thanks in advance.
Eugene2114
I'm a Communicator ;-)

putting the hard yacker #2 (permalink) Mon Feb 21, 2011 19:52 pm   putting the hard yacker

I have no idea. I know that sports commentators sometimes seem to have their own non-English vocabulary but is it possible you might have misheard it or did you read it?

From the context, I'd guess it means something like 'hard work' or 'standing their ground and fighting'.
Language Coach

Learn to use the present simple with the help of this short storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Read these English anecdotes and maybe smile today? Subscribe to free email English course
putting the hard yacker #3 (permalink) Mon Feb 21, 2011 20:33 pm   putting the hard yacker

Thank you Beees,
I vagued whether it had any sense at all, but I chanced to meet an Australian slang site which put it as follows:"hard yacker. Also hard yakka. Hard work.". So, your insight was keen and helpful. But Manchester isnít
too close to Australia, I guess?..
Regards.
Eugene2114
I'm a Communicator ;-)

Phrasal verb "find out" | Expression: behaves in a crazy manner
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
What is a parking lot?What are scarecrows?the first few pages of the bookContracts ariseblack and white stripesodd-lot orderspoor people around the worldthe birth of their first childmake herself at homedelay his retirement.I'd rather have coffee than have tea.If you would like for me to do smthbreathing his last.