to wither; to die out; to bleach; to disappear
authorize
fade
weigh
revive

difference between: "I may buy..." and "I may have to buy..."

enticement | Difference between sometime and sometimes
difference between: "I may buy..." and "I may have to buy..." #1 (permalink) Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:05 am   difference between: "I may buy..." and "I may have to buy..."

ESL/EFL Test #251 "Modal Verbs (3)", question 8

I'm going to make a cabinet out of our spare wood pile. However, I ......... have to buy some extra wood for the finishing touches.

(a) can
(b) must
(c) may
(d) couldn't

ESL/EFL Test #251 "Modal Verbs (3)", answer 8

I'm going to make a cabinet out of our spare wood pile. However, I may have to buy some extra wood for the finishing touches.

Correct answer: (c) may

_________________________

What is the difference between: "I may buy..." and "I may have to buy..."

Thank you
Alesger

Location: Azerbaijan

difference between: "I may buy..." and "I may have to buy..." #2 (permalink) Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:45 am   difference between: "I may buy..." and "I may have to buy..."

I may buy = I will possibly buy, but I will have the choice. I don't have to buy it and I may not really need to buy it.

I may have to buy = If I want to have enough of this, then it is possible that I will need to buy some more. I won't have a choice because I will have run out.

I like this bread. I may buy some more when I next visit the market. (choice)
I'm not sure whether I have enough bread left to last all day tomorrow. I may have to buy some more in the morning. (no choice if I don't want to run out)
_________________

Learn some cool expressions in the following cool storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Have you read a good anecdote today? Subscribe to free email English course
difference between: "I may buy..." and "I may have to buy..." #3 (permalink) Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:22 am   difference between: "I may buy..." and "I may have to buy..."

Hi Alesger,

'May' as a modal often expresses 'possibility' as in: It may rain this afternoon. We are not sure because we don't know.

'Have to' suggests 'necessity' as in: I have to take an umbrella with me because it is raining.

If you join those two sentences together, it becomes: As it may rain this afternoon, I may have to take an umbrella with me. In that sentence the necessity (have to) is limited to a possibility (may).

_________________

difference between: "I may buy..." and "I may have to buy..." #4 (permalink) Thu Feb 24, 2011 13:41 pm   difference between: "I may buy..." and "I may have to buy..."

Hi Alan,

So if we join the two sentences from the above test, it becomes:
As I may run out of wood, I may have to by some extra wood.

Does it have the same meaning with the sentence:
If I run out of wood, I will buy some extra wood.

Alesger

Location: Azerbaijan

difference between: "I may buy..." and "I may have to buy..." #5 (permalink) Thu Feb 24, 2011 16:36 pm   difference between: "I may buy..." and "I may have to buy..."

Hi.

'I will buy' doesn't indicate the necessity to buy that you find in I will have to buy.'

_________________

may #6 (permalink) Sat Jan 23, 2016 5:24 am   may

I understand that it's for sure that I will have to buy some extra wood for the finishings.
Why not?
_________________
A cup of good coffe can make life bearable.
Alfwm

Location: Bogotá, Colombia

Money is the root of all evil...Measured off vs. metered off, test 486, number 5.Last but not least-meaningEnglish Slang Idioms (17)/5Test 641 number 9 "you get what you pay for" vs "you get what youIt has stopped raining/the rain has stoppedWhat is the meaning of "hold any stock"?"The" conclave: sounds a bit odd here?What does 'to know the ropes' mean?If I were you? Subjuntive?"down a peg" vs "down a hill"What is the difference between a bank teller and a cashier?Expression: "Yes, I'll hold"