inquisitive; desiring to know and understand; odd; strange; rare
empty
level
colloquial
curious

What does 'chip in' mean?

Where should we go | Difference between WE DID IT and WE MADE IT
What does 'chip in' mean? #1 (permalink) Fri Mar 04, 2011 14:52 pm   What does 'chip in' mean?

ESL/EFL Test #882 "Winning the Jackpot!", question 7

My co-workers ......... in fixed amounts of money and play the lottery, as a group, on a weekly basis.

(a) chip
(b) venture
(c) wager
(d) bet

ESL/EFL Test #882 "Winning the Jackpot!", answer 7

My co-workers chip in fixed amounts of money and play the lottery, as a group, on a weekly basis.

Correct answer: (a) chip

My co-workers wager in fixed amounts of money and play the lottery, as a group, on a weekly basis.
_________________________

Hello.
I really don't understand the meaning of the word "chip" in this sentense. Can somebody help me?
Thanks a lot.
Lia39

Location: Belarus

What does 'chip in' mean? #2 (permalink) Fri Mar 04, 2011 18:44 pm   What does 'chip in' mean?

The expression is "to chip in".
It roughly means "to donate/contribute".
_________________

Want to learn about the future tenses? Read this story and smileEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Have you read a good anecdote today? Subscribe to free email English course
I'll let you choosepay scalewith full stomachswildlifeat our head office vs. in our head officeThat in a non-defining clause?a row of tippie tentsBreak out in hives?one traditional inflation hedgetake or drink tea?spirit your son awaypolish the silverwareDon't take any wooden nickels