Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

blunder; fault; error
mistake
momentum
institute
retirement
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

please exlain :" smile, laugh, grin"

ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
Idiom: Things can only get better | the greatest potential
listening exercises
please exlain :" smile, laugh, grin" #1 (permalink) Sat Mar 12, 2011 17:03 pm   please exlain :" smile, laugh, grin"

Please explain for me the reason why we don't use "laugh" or "smile", so it must use " grin" in this sentence.but " smile, laugh, grin" have same meaning is moving mouth .
There is really nothing much you can do to stop it and I'm afraid you'll just have to grin and bear it.
Saudavabimbim
I'm new here and I like it ;-)

please exlain :" smile, laugh, grin" #2 (permalink) Sat Mar 12, 2011 18:38 pm   please exlain :" smile, laugh, grin"

Hi Saudavabimbim,

It's because 'grin and bear it' is a fixed expression. It's an idiom which means to accept an unpleasant or difficult situation because there is nothing you can do to improve it. Although smile or laugh could be used in place of grin, the idiom is unchangeable.
http://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/grin+and+bear+it
http://idioms.yourdictionary.com/grin-and-bear-it
Language Coach

How do you use the English Prepositions correctly?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Learn how to explore English words! Subscribe to free email English course
Idiom: Things can only get better | the greatest potential
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
a sound banking systembaby penguins hatchWhat does get picked on mean?cash flowprojected salesformer shipmatesa $30 billion-per-year industry.site by site/ building by buildingit wasn't a real oneIf we don't bring a map, how will we know where to go?When I finally get to schoolget outWhy is "at home" correct?