putting into words; phrase; word; manifestation
expression
tour
technique
rescue

informed the police

let's get started | lake - with or without article
informed the police #1 (permalink) Tue Mar 15, 2011 17:21 pm   informed the police

ESL/EFL Test #99 "The Parliamentary Candidate (2)", question 4

They decided to get dressed at once and take the two girls to their aunt's house. Henry ......... the police but asked them to keep the news from the press.

(a) instructed
(b) directed
(c) said
(d) informed

ESL/EFL Test #99 "The Parliamentary Candidate (2)", answer 4

They decided to get dressed at once and take the two girls to their aunt's house. Henry informed the police but asked them to keep the news from the press.

Correct answer: (d) informed
_________________________

informed the police ...does it mean tell the police about what happened ?
_________________

informed the police #2 (permalink) Tue Mar 15, 2011 19:20 pm   informed the police

Yes.
_________________

Learn to use the present simple with the help of this short storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Sign up for FREE and explore English! Click to subscribe to email English course
informed the police #3 (permalink) Sun Jul 03, 2011 13:55 pm   informed the police

I'd like to ask you about more alternatives that have come to my mind and check if they could work: warned the police/alterted the police/reported to the police but asked them to keep the news from the press.
Licinio

Location: Bergamo, Italy

informed the police #4 (permalink) Sun Jul 03, 2011 14:40 pm   informed the police

Those owuld work but you need the noun or a pronoun for the noun between 'reported' and 'to' if you are going to follow up the sentence:

He reported it/the crime/the theft/the assault to the police but asked them to keep the news from the press.
_________________

alone // lonelywhen you figure inWord is that he asked the publisherI heard that the city [b]is going to start collecting yard waste soon[/b].Mills' is open late, so I went there.spend time to do something or spend time doing something"help keep" and "help to keep"journalists would follow him...Shouldn't the preposition be 'an' instead of 'a' before euphemism?How can I make my own sentences?use past tensePhrasal verbs: 'carry over' and 'carry out'Poked my eye out