Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

putting into words; phrase; word; manifestation
expression
tour
technique
rescue
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

informed the police

ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
let's get started | lake - with or without article
listening exercises
informed the police #1 (permalink) Tue Mar 15, 2011 17:21 pm   informed the police

English Language Proficiency Tests, Advanced Level

ESL/EFL Test #99 "The Parliamentary Candidate (2)", question 4

They decided to get dressed at once and take the two girls to their aunt's house. Henry ......... the police but asked them to keep the news from the press.

(a) instructed
(b) directed
(c) said
(d) informed

English Language Proficiency Tests, Advanced Level

ESL/EFL Test #99 "The Parliamentary Candidate (2)", answer 4

They decided to get dressed at once and take the two girls to their aunt's house. Henry informed the police but asked them to keep the news from the press.

Correct answer: (d) informed

informed the police ...does it mean tell the police about what happened ?

informed the police #2 (permalink) Tue Mar 15, 2011 19:20 pm   informed the police

Yes.
Language Coach

Learn to use the present simple with the help of this short storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Sign up for FREE and explore English! Click to subscribe to email English course
informed the police #3 (permalink) Sun Jul 03, 2011 13:55 pm   informed the police

I'd like to ask you about more alternatives that have come to my mind and check if they could work: warned the police/alterted the police/reported to the police but asked them to keep the news from the press.
Licinio
I'm new here and I like it ;-)

informed the police #4 (permalink) Sun Jul 03, 2011 14:40 pm   informed the police

Those owuld work but you need the noun or a pronoun for the noun between 'reported' and 'to' if you are going to follow up the sentence:

He reported it/the crime/the theft/the assault to the police but asked them to keep the news from the press.
Language Coach

let's get started | lake - with or without article
ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on English Forums
alone // lonelywhen you figure inWord is that he asked the publisherI heard that the city [b]is going to start collecting yard waste soon[/b].Mills' is open late, so I went there.spend time to do something or spend time doing something"help keep" and "help to keep"journalists would follow him...Shouldn't the preposition be 'an' instead of 'a' before euphemism?How can I make my own sentences?use past tensePhrasal verbs: 'carry over' and 'carry out'Poked my eye out