Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

before; at an earlier time; in the past; antecedently
abreast
particularly
beyond
previously
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

a person himself/herself/them... OR what?

ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
Memory vs memo | In front of vs. before
listening exercises
a person himself/herself/them... OR what? #1 (permalink) Tue Mar 22, 2011 18:14 pm   a person himself/herself/them... OR what?

Hello!
My question is fully shown in the subject line: I'd like to be correct when writing something like ... a person him-her-them- self/-ves, well, what should it be?!
Please, be kind to clear it up.
Thank you.
Abeille
You can meet me at english-test.net

a person himself/herself/them... OR what? #2 (permalink) Tue Mar 22, 2011 19:22 pm   a person himself/herself/them... OR what?

Hello,

It depends on the circumstances.

If you are definitely writing about a male, then use him. The
if you are definitely writing about the female, then use her.
If you are writing about a single person, then use self.
If you are writing about more than one person, then use themselves.

The only problem occurs when you are writing about a single person and it's unclear whether it is a male or a female. Nowadays, it is possible to use a singular 'themselves'.
Language Coach

Want to learn about the future tenses? Read this story and smileEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Read these English anecdotes and maybe smile today? Subscribe to free email English course
a person himself/herself/them... OR what? #3 (permalink) Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:12 pm   a person himself/herself/them... OR what?

Thanks for your reply, Beeesneees.

So it would be correct when I say 'a person themselves' whoever they are and no matter how Singular 'that person' (I mean the word) is, right?
Abeille

a person himself/herself/them... OR what? #4 (permalink) Thu Mar 24, 2011 18:28 pm   a person himself/herself/them... OR what?

As a general ruule yes, but I'd have to see the context to say for certain that it was absolutely right in that situation.
Language Coach

a person himself/herself/them... OR what? #5 (permalink) Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:41 am   a person himself/herself/them... OR what?

Yes, context would do best. I haven't my own examples but would love to see some from forum members to make a kind of map for this very use of 'a person self'. It is still a tricky point.
Abeille

a person himself/herself/them... OR what? #6 (permalink) Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:44 am   a person himself/herself/them... OR what?

Please activate Javascript in your browser to listen to this audio recording

74 Listened
Download mp3 Click to listen

Hi Abeille,

The trouble is that when we are not sure about the gender of the noun, we are stuck with this awful himself/herself/he/she construction. You get sentences like: When a child first goes to school, he/she has to get used to being with other children. I personally prefer to say: they have to get used to .. Grammarians of a certain school then start jumping up and down and say: You can't mix 'a child' (singular) with 'they' (plural). Well I do, to avoid the construction above. It therefore follows, to be consistent, that you would say: a person themselves - and that would probably give our grammarian fraternity a heart attack. I must admit that it does sound weird. The answer would seem to suggest that we say instead: A person on their own would ...

This would seem to be a solution to your problem, I hope.

Alan
Co-founder
Alan Townend

a person himself/herself/them... OR what? #7 (permalink) Fri Mar 25, 2011 13:32 pm   a person himself/herself/them... OR what?

Thank you, Alan. I'm quite satisfied with the 'a person on their own' variant. It sounds 'politically correct', so to say, for both people and grammarians :)
Abeille

Memory vs memo | In front of vs. before
ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on English Forums
go out into the woods or go back into the woods?that's final vs. that's concludedwho's calling?What is a defendant?an attack of influenzathat sort of behaviouracross boundaries.at a moment's noticethe happiest moment of my lifelow portfolio turnover ratioBasic Grammar Exercises (6)there was not much roomEvery time I turn around,