plant; edible fruit of a plant
convenience
consultancy
exposure
vegetable

Trick or treat

Phrasal verb "to rake in" | Difference between latest and earliest
Trick or treat #1 (permalink) Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:31 am   Trick or treat

ESL/EFL Test #137 "Vocabulary Practice: Halloween (1)", question 3

Children really like Halloween because they can dress up and take part in an activity where they go from house to house and collect candy from the residents who are home at the time. When the children approach the homes, they yell "Trick or .........!"

(a) Trump
(b) Treat
(c) Trudge
(d) Trim

ESL/EFL Test #137 "Vocabulary Practice: Halloween (1)", answer 3

Children really like Halloween because they can dress up and take part in an activity where they go from house to house and collect candy from the residents who are home at the time. When the children approach the homes, they yell "Trick or Treat!"

Correct answer: (b) Treat

Children really like Halloween because they can dress up and take part in an activity where they go from house to house and collect candy from the residents who are home at the time. When the children approach the homes, they yell "Trick or Trump!"
_________________________

What does this phrase (trick or trump) mean?

Miroslav
Mfiliov

Location: Bulgaria

Trick or treat #2 (permalink) Wed Mar 23, 2011 15:47 pm   Trick or treat

That phrase doesn't have a meaning, Miroslav.

The correct phrase is 'Trick or treat', which -- in not so many words -- those from Westernised countries would understand to mean (You have the choice between getting a trick played on you or giving us a treat.')
_________________

Learn to use the present simple with the help of this short storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Sign up for FREE and explore English! Click to subscribe to email English course
an attack of influenzathat sort of behaviouracross boundaries.at a moment's noticethe happiest moment of my lifelow portfolio turnover ratiothere was not much roomto point the beardthe greatest man in the worldIs it correct?beach ballthe window looked out onto the terraceIs scale the same as skin?