overhead; over; in a higher place
regularly
randomly
sincerely
above

Appropriate varb or phrase

what does be about to mean? | Quit
Appropriate varb or phrase #1 (permalink) Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:18 am   Appropriate varb or phrase

Hello everyone!

Could anyone please help me to find appropriate phrase to describe the following situation.

When a person moves to a new location such as a new town or country he/she usually doesn't have many things with him/her. Nevertheless once he or she has settled, gradually more more things appear around like things he/she bought/found/got as a present snd so on. That's it! As a result of the way world goes, a person will be surrounded by things that now his/hers.

In my native language we have a verb similar in meaning to be overcovered (but in figurative meaning) to describe the result of being surrounded by things. Direct translation would be something like "I have been living here for the last 3 years and [I am/my home is] overcovered by/with things already".

Verb in my language is used only in connection with a human. But I'm sure that the werb I wrote above is a wrong verb. Much better to say "I have been living here for the last 3 years and my home is full of /clattered with many things already".

What do you think and is there any better way to express what I mean?
Anahata

Location: Moscow, Russia

Re: Appropriate varb or phrase #2 (permalink) Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:57 am   Re: Appropriate varb or phrase

Anahata wrote:
Hello everyone!

Hi. I think the last one is much better. Although,it seems like you are very good in shape the writing,it is very usefull to have wide range of vocabs.
Wish you best,
Hooman
Hooman

Location: Iran

In this story you'll learn how to use the English articlesEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Read these English anecdotes and maybe smile today? Subscribe to free email English course
Appropriate varb or phrase #3 (permalink) Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:08 pm   Appropriate varb or phrase

Thank you, Hooman.
Anahata

Location: Moscow, Russia

Appropriate varb or phrase #4 (permalink) Fri Apr 08, 2011 15:32 pm   Appropriate varb or phrase

Hi Anahata, I'd suggest these:

"I have been living here for the last 3 years and [I am/my home is] overcovered by/with things already".

I have lived here for three years and my home is already overcrowded with too many things.

"I have been living here for the last 3 years and my home is full of /clattered with many things already".

I have lived here for three years and my home is already cluttered (with things I have accumulated/gathered over these years.)

I am not a native speaker, so take my advice with a pinch of salt. :-) http://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/take+with+a+pinch+of+salt (By the way, ''I have been living here for the last three years'' is fine too.)
_________________
If you're going through hell... keep going.
Cristina.ro

Appropriate varb or phrase #5 (permalink) Fri Apr 08, 2011 15:50 pm   Appropriate varb or phrase

Thank you, Cristina.ro for your advice!
I would definitely use suggestion about salt!
Anahata

Location: Moscow, Russia

what does be about to mean? | Quit
Lost in translationUse of "hassle"why it is me NOT it is iwhat does "smile indefinitely" mean?passive or active?At the weekend vs. On the weekendas good as it wasno use ofWhere is the mistake?grammarWhat's the difference between "I'll miss you." and "I'm going to mRight or wrong?et alia > et al > eta (?)