Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

to choose; to vote for; to prefer; to decide
conceive
precondition
nurse
elect
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

Am I stressing correct words? April 7

ESL Forums | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms
wander/ramble//meander | collaborating
listening exercises
Am I stressing correct words? April 7 #1 (permalink) Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:29 am   Am I stressing correct words? April 7

Please activate Javascript in your browser to listen to this audio recording

52 Listened
Download mp3 Click to listen

Hi,

Am I stressing correct words in the following sentences? I have also recorded the sentences.

A murder sparked by a barroom spat ended Thursday in a courtroom brawl after Kyle Smith was sentenced to life for killing one person and wounding five others outside a Victoriaville bar.

Thanks,

MG.
Musicgold
I'm here quite often ;-)

Re: Am I stressing correct words? April 7 #2 (permalink) Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:22 am   Re: Am I stressing correct words? April 7

Please activate Javascript in your browser to listen to this audio recording

66 Listened
Download mp3 Click to listen

Hi MG,

I've recorded the sentence the way I would say it.

One thing I'll mention is that I'd expect the word 'five' to have just as much stress as the word 'one'.

Another thing is that this sentence is not representative of what you'd hear in everyday conversation. It sounds like a sentence from a newspaper.

In this story you'll learn everything about the passive voiceEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Have you read a good anecdote today? Subscribe to free email English course
Am I stressing correct words? April 7 #3 (permalink) Fri Apr 08, 2011 17:03 pm   Am I stressing correct words? April 7

Thanks ESL Expert.
You are right in that one would not hear such sentence in everyday conversation. The sentence is from a newstory.

A follow up question if you don't mind.

1. You didn't stress 'sentenced' and 'outside' much. Is that correct? I thought they were content words, but now I am not sure.
Musicgold
I'm here quite often ;-)

Am I stressing correct words? April 7 #4 (permalink) Fri Apr 08, 2011 21:37 pm   Am I stressing correct words? April 7

Hi MG,

Does this make any sense to you?

A murder sparked by a barroom spat ended Thursday in a courtroom brawl after Kyle Smith was sentenced to life for killing one person and wounding five others outside a Victoriaville bar.
Esl_Expert
I'm a Communicator ;-)

Am I stressing correct words? April 7 #5 (permalink) Sat Apr 09, 2011 15:20 pm   Am I stressing correct words? April 7

ESL Expert,

Thanks you. It totally makes sense.

Did you actually type that sentence or some software generate it for you? It is very helpful.
Musicgold
I'm here quite often ;-)

Am I stressing correct words? April 7 #6 (permalink) Sat Apr 09, 2011 16:07 pm   Am I stressing correct words? April 7

Hi MG,

No, it actually took me ages to type that out, repeatedly changing the font size according to my own estimation of the amount of stress each word is likely to get. Frequently changing the font size using this forum's software is quite tedious.

What I wanted to try to convey is that basically ALL content words receive stress, but they don't necessarily receive exactly the same amount of stress.

For example, in the phrase 'Victoriaville bar', both words are stressed, but the word 'bar' should receive noticeably more stress.

Here is an example that is somewhat different:

In the phrase 'train station', the word 'train' would typically be stressed about the same as (or possibly slightly more than) the first syllable of the word 'station':
train station

Am I stressing correct words? April 7 #7 (permalink) Sat Apr 09, 2011 16:10 pm   Am I stressing correct words? April 7

Thank you . I appreciate your effort.
Musicgold
I'm here quite often ;-)

wander/ramble//meander | collaborating
ESL Forums | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
is to never/ is never toSuggest / BegAm I stressing correct words? April 9Am I stressing correct words? April 9Am I stressing correct words? April 9Am I stressing correct words? April 9Would you please answer my question?What does mean "you are fit"? (excluding "healthy" and "show-and-tellTenses (From Seinfeld)readCan I compare like these ways?May I take a picture of you ?