to choose; to vote for; to prefer; to decide
conceive
precondition
nurse
elect

Am I stressing correct words? April 7

wander/ramble//meander | collaborating
Am I stressing correct words? April 7 #1 (permalink) Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:29 am   Am I stressing correct words? April 7

Am I stressing correct words in the following sentences? I have also recorded the sentences.

A murder sparked by a barroom spat ended Thursday in a courtroom brawl after Kyle Smith was sentenced to life for killing one person and wounding five others outside a Victoriaville bar.

MG.
Musicgold

Re: Am I stressing correct words? April 7 #2 (permalink) Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:22 am   Re: Am I stressing correct words? April 7

Hi MG,

I've recorded the sentence the way I would say it.

One thing I'll mention is that I'd expect the word 'five' to have just as much stress as the word 'one'.

Another thing is that this sentence is not representative of what you'd hear in everyday conversation. It sounds like a sentence from a newspaper.

___________________________________________________________
"This is a court of law, young man, not a court of justice." ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Esl_Expert

Location: Rhode Island, USA

In this story you'll learn everything about the passive voiceEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Have you read a good anecdote today? Subscribe to free email English course
Am I stressing correct words? April 7 #3 (permalink) Fri Apr 08, 2011 17:03 pm   Am I stressing correct words? April 7

Thanks ESL Expert.
You are right in that one would not hear such sentence in everyday conversation. The sentence is from a newstory.

A follow up question if you don't mind.

1. You didn't stress 'sentenced' and 'outside' much. Is that correct? I thought they were content words, but now I am not sure.
Musicgold

Am I stressing correct words? April 7 #4 (permalink) Fri Apr 08, 2011 21:37 pm   Am I stressing correct words? April 7

Hi MG,

Does this make any sense to you?

Esl_Expert

Location: Rhode Island, USA

Am I stressing correct words? April 7 #5 (permalink) Sat Apr 09, 2011 15:20 pm   Am I stressing correct words? April 7

ESL Expert,

Thanks you. It totally makes sense.

Did you actually type that sentence or some software generate it for you? It is very helpful.
Musicgold

Am I stressing correct words? April 7 #6 (permalink) Sat Apr 09, 2011 16:07 pm   Am I stressing correct words? April 7

Hi MG,

No, it actually took me ages to type that out, repeatedly changing the font size according to my own estimation of the amount of stress each word is likely to get. Frequently changing the font size using this forum's software is quite tedious.

What I wanted to try to convey is that basically ALL content words receive stress, but they don't necessarily receive exactly the same amount of stress.

For example, in the phrase 'Victoriaville bar', both words are stressed, but the word 'bar' should receive noticeably more stress.

.

Here is an example that is somewhat different:

In the phrase 'train station', the word 'train' would typically be stressed about the same as (or possibly slightly more than) the first syllable of the word 'station':
train station
______________________________________________________
"If we see light at the end of the tunnel, it's the light of the oncoming train." ~ Robert Lowell
Esl_Expert

Location: Rhode Island, USA

Am I stressing correct words? April 7 #7 (permalink) Sat Apr 09, 2011 16:10 pm   Am I stressing correct words? April 7

Thank you . I appreciate your effort.
Musicgold

wander/ramble//meander | collaborating
is to never/ is never toSuggest / BegAm I stressing correct words? April 9Am I stressing correct words? April 9Am I stressing correct words? April 9Am I stressing correct words? April 9Would you please answer my question?What does mean "you are fit"? (excluding "healthy" and "show-and-tellTenses (From Seinfeld)readCan I compare like these ways?May I take a picture of you ?