Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

to copy; to pretend; to fake
simulate
visit
circumvent
excite
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

why it is me NOT it is i

ESL Forums | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms
anything but | et alia > et al > eta (?)
listening exercises
why it is me NOT it is i #1 (permalink) Fri Apr 08, 2011 14:57 pm   why it is me NOT it is i

Dear all

one of my students asked me two questions
1-why we say IT IS ME when someone knock the door for examble.and can she say IT IS I ?

2-we got used to saying sentences like THIS IS THE STORY ABOUT YOU AND ME.the question is can we say THIS IS THE STORY ABOUT ME AND YOU?
note :THIS IS THE STORY ABOUT ME AND YOU is quoted from a song by Cilindion
Sundance
I'm new here and I like it ;-)

why it is me NOT it is i #2 (permalink) Fri Apr 08, 2011 17:46 pm   why it is me NOT it is i

'me' is correct because that is the object of the sentence.
I - subject
me - object.

It doesn't matter whether you say 'you and me' or 'me and you'. 'You' is often placed first out of politeness.
Language Coach

In this story you'll learn how to use the English articlesEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Start exploring the English language today! Subscribe to free email English course
why it is me NOT it is i #3 (permalink) Fri Apr 08, 2011 18:02 pm   why it is me NOT it is i

Hi,

To follow grammar exactly , as some pedants do. you would say: 'It is I' because the verb 'be' can't take an object. Most people however say 'me' in the case because it sounds less precious. When you use a pronoun after a preposition, it then becomes the object of the preposition and then you would say: from/by/ after/about and so on +'me'.

Alan
Co-founder
Alan Townend

why it is me NOT it is i #4 (permalink) Fri Apr 08, 2011 18:25 pm   why it is me NOT it is i

Alan wrote:
Hi,

To follow grammar exactly , as some pedants do. you would say: 'It is I' because the verb 'be' can't take an object. Most people however say 'me' in the case because it sounds less precious. When you use a pronoun after a preposition, it then becomes the object of the preposition and then you would say: from/by/ after/about and so on +'me'.

Alan

Thank you very much Sir, i'm totaly convinced by your answer.But what about if the same sentence is followed by compliment like this
IT IS ME WHO HELPED YOU.Can i say IT IS I WHO HELPED you
I mean does your feedback above applied here too!
Sundance

why it is me NOT it is i #5 (permalink) Fri Apr 08, 2011 19:37 pm   why it is me NOT it is i

Yes.
Language Coach

why it is me NOT it is i #6 (permalink) Fri Apr 08, 2011 19:55 pm   why it is me NOT it is i

Beeesneees wrote:
Yes.

thank u dear
Sundance

why it is me NOT it is i #7 (permalink) Sat Apr 09, 2011 0:10 am   why it is me NOT it is i

Who is there?

Is this a correct form?

Does it mean

Who = There

Should it have been said

Who is standing there? or Who there?

Thanks
E2e4
I'm a Communicator ;-)

anything but | et alia > et al > eta (?)
ESL Forums | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
show-and-tellTenses (From Seinfeld)readCan I compare like these ways?Lost in translationUse of "hassle"what does "smile indefinitely" mean?as good as it wasWhere is the mistake?grammarQuitWhat's the difference between "I'll miss you." and "I'm going to mwhat does be about to mean?