Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

unusual; exceptional; unique; particular; highly valued
harmful
funnelled
fundamental
special
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

A bathtub is able to hold a lot of water

ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
Test incompl/advan-240, User's Answer 7 | I don't often travel by air...
listening exercises
A bathtub is able to hold a lot of water #1 (permalink) Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:16 am   A bathtub is able to hold a lot of water

English Grammar Tests, Elementary Level

ESL/EFL Test #292 "Household Items (2)", question 5

A ......... is able to hold a lot water at once. People get into this in order to soak and wash their bodies.

(a) sink
(b) bathtub
(c) washer
(d) jug

English Grammar Tests, Elementary Level

ESL/EFL Test #292 "Household Items (2)", answer 5

A bathtub is able to hold a lot water at once. People get into this in order to soak and wash their bodies.

Correct answer: (b) bathtub

Hello,

Could you tell me whether the phrase "a lot water" is suitable for this test sentence of Question 5?

According to Cambridge Dictionary Online, either "a lot (of) or "lots (of)" means a large amount or number of people or things
(http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/british/lot_1#lot_1__3). This means that the of's in brackets are optional. Therefore, "a lot water" is grammatical as well, I think.

Thank you.

Best wishes,
Bhikkhu1991a.
Bhikkhu1991a
I'm here quite often ;-)

A bathtub is able to hold a lot of water #2 (permalink) Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:11 am   A bathtub is able to hold a lot of water

You are correct to be suspicious about this phrase, Bhikku.
It should be 'a lot of water'. There were a number of other typos in that test which have also now been corrected and are awaiting a database refresh.
Language Coach

Want to learn about the future tenses? Read this story and smileEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!This newsletter tells you all about English! Subscribe to free email English course
A bathtub is able to hold a lot of water #3 (permalink) Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:40 am   A bathtub is able to hold a lot of water

Hello Beeesneees,

Thank you for clarifying my situation. I was surprised that even such a prestigious Cambridge Dictionary Online caused me a problem, a dilemma that confused me with the optional “of”. Fortunately, you lent a helping hand.

Once again, thank you.

Best wishes,
Bhikkhu1991a.
Bhikkhu1991a
I'm here quite often ;-)

A bathtub is able to hold a lot of water #4 (permalink) Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:24 am   A bathtub is able to hold a lot of water

Hello Bev,

By the way, with regard to the word "this" used in the sentence, shouldn't it be "it", since we're referring to a bathtub in general?
A bathtub is able to hold a lot water at once. People get into it in order to soak and wash their bodies.

Thanks!
I'm a Communicator ;-)

A bathtub is able to hold a lot of water #5 (permalink) Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:02 pm   A bathtub is able to hold a lot of water

That's one of the 'other corrections' I've mentioned, Tort!
(Though I think I decided to change it to 'one': 'People get into one in order to...')
Language Coach

A bathtub is able to hold a lot of water #6 (permalink) Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:05 pm   A bathtub is able to hold a lot of water

Beeesneees wrote:
That's one of the 'other corrections' I've mentioned, Tort!
(Though I think I decided to change it to 'one': 'People get into one...')

Ohh, I see =)
I knew something wasn't right about the sentence. The "this" part just didn't sit right with me so I reckoned I'd voice my suspicion with regard to its appropriatness. Hehe.
I'm a Communicator ;-)

A bathtub is able to hold a lot of water #7 (permalink) Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:16 pm   A bathtub is able to hold a lot of water

'appropriateness' ;)

You don't drop the 'e' in that one!

Actually, the use of 'this' wasn't that unacceptable - it just seemed too far away from the required noun to leave it as it was. 'It looked as if 'this' (or 'it') might refer to the water rather than the tub. I thought 'one' was less confusing as you could not get into one water.
Language Coach

Test incompl/advan-240, User's Answer 7 | I don't often travel by air...
ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on English Forums
a fancy restaurant'Ocean' can be interchangeable with 'sea'warm clothing vs. woven clothingkeep cool in the hot weather?Test incompl/advan-845, Question 8Test incompl/advan-845, Question 7Test incompl/advan-845, Question 5Test incompl/advan-845, Question 2Test incompl/advan-845, User's Answer 1Test incompl/advan-240, Question 8Are you sure there are seven days of week according to the solar calendar?Aux Modalroars of joy