unusual; exceptional; unique; particular; highly valued
harmful
funnelled
fundamental
special

A bathtub is able to hold a lot of water

Test incompl/advan-240, User's Answer 7 | I don't often travel by air...
A bathtub is able to hold a lot of water #1 (permalink) Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:16 am   A bathtub is able to hold a lot of water

ESL/EFL Test #292 "Household Items (2)", question 5

A ......... is able to hold a lot water at once. People get into this in order to soak and wash their bodies.

(a) sink
(b) bathtub
(c) washer
(d) jug

ESL/EFL Test #292 "Household Items (2)", answer 5

A bathtub is able to hold a lot water at once. People get into this in order to soak and wash their bodies.

Correct answer: (b) bathtub
_________________________

Could you tell me whether the phrase "a lot water" is suitable for this test sentence of Question 5?

According to Cambridge Dictionary Online, either "a lot (of) or "lots (of)" means a large amount or number of people or things
(http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/british/lot_1#lot_1__3). This means that the of's in brackets are optional. Therefore, "a lot water" is grammatical as well, I think.

Best wishes,
Bhikkhu1991a.
Bhikkhu1991a

A bathtub is able to hold a lot of water #2 (permalink) Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:11 am   A bathtub is able to hold a lot of water

You are correct to be suspicious about this phrase, Bhikku.
It should be 'a lot of water'. There were a number of other typos in that test which have also now been corrected and are awaiting a database refresh.
_________________

Want to learn about the future tenses? Read this story and smileEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!This newsletter tells you all about English! Subscribe to free email English course
A bathtub is able to hold a lot of water #3 (permalink) Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:40 am   A bathtub is able to hold a lot of water

Hello Beeesneees,

Thank you for clarifying my situation. I was surprised that even such a prestigious Cambridge Dictionary Online caused me a problem, a dilemma that confused me with the optional “of”. Fortunately, you lent a helping hand.

Once again, thank you.

Best wishes,
Bhikkhu1991a.
Bhikkhu1991a

A bathtub is able to hold a lot of water #4 (permalink) Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:24 am   A bathtub is able to hold a lot of water

Hello Bev,

By the way, with regard to the word "this" used in the sentence, shouldn't it be "it", since we're referring to a bathtub in general?
A bathtub is able to hold a lot water at once. People get into it in order to soak and wash their bodies.

Thanks!
_________________

A bathtub is able to hold a lot of water #5 (permalink) Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:02 pm   A bathtub is able to hold a lot of water

That's one of the 'other corrections' I've mentioned, Tort!
(Though I think I decided to change it to 'one': 'People get into one in order to...')
_________________

A bathtub is able to hold a lot of water #6 (permalink) Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:05 pm   A bathtub is able to hold a lot of water

Beeesneees wrote:
(Though I think I decided to change it to 'one': 'People get into one...')

Ohh, I see =)
I knew something wasn't right about the sentence. The "this" part just didn't sit right with me so I reckoned I'd voice my suspicion with regard to its appropriatness. Hehe.
_________________

A bathtub is able to hold a lot of water #7 (permalink) Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:16 pm   A bathtub is able to hold a lot of water

'appropriateness' ;)

You don't drop the 'e' in that one!

Actually, the use of 'this' wasn't that unacceptable - it just seemed too far away from the required noun to leave it as it was. 'It looked as if 'this' (or 'it') might refer to the water rather than the tub. I thought 'one' was less confusing as you could not get into one water.
_________________

a fancy restaurant'Ocean' can be interchangeable with 'sea'warm clothing vs. woven clothingkeep cool in the hot weather?Test incompl/advan-845, Question 8Test incompl/advan-845, Question 7Test incompl/advan-845, Question 5Test incompl/advan-845, Question 2Test incompl/advan-845, User's Answer 1Test incompl/advan-240, Question 8Are you sure there are seven days of week according to the solar calendar?Aux Modalroars of joy