Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

to send off quickly; to dismiss; to conclude with speed and efficiency; to eliminate
dispatch
appear
advise
number
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

bobbing for apples.

ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
Question tags question | TOEFLŪ iBT
listening exercises
bobbing for apples. #1 (permalink) Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:47 pm   bobbing for apples.

English Grammar Tests, Elementary Level

ESL/EFL Test #137 "Vocabulary Practice: Halloween (1)", question 6

A popular game at Halloween parties is called ......... for apples. This is when people try to grab an apple -- that is floating in a tub of water -- with only their mouths. Usually, there are many apples floating inside the tub and the participants' must keep their hands behind their backs.

(a) hopping
(b) shoving
(c) licking
(d) bobbing

English Grammar Tests, Elementary Level

ESL/EFL Test #137 "Vocabulary Practice: Halloween (1)", answer 6

A popular game at Halloween parties is called bobbing for apples. This is when people try to grab an apple -- that is floating in a tub of water -- with only their mouths. Usually, there are many apples floating inside the tub and the participants' must keep their hands behind their backs.

Correct answer: (d) bobbing

Shouldn't it be: the participants, and not :participants'?
thanks..
Saneta
I'm a Communicator ;-)

bobbing for apples. #2 (permalink) Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:50 pm   bobbing for apples.

The apostrophe certainly doesn't belong there, thanks.

I've changed the typo (though a database refresh is required before it will - hopefully - show up).

I am concerned about the classification of this test as 'elementary' level, though. There seems to be quite a lot of vocabulary required of an 'elementary learner' in order to comprehend these answers.
Language Coach

Want to learn about the future tenses? Read this story and smileEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Start exploring the English language today! Subscribe to free email English course
Question tags question | TOEFLŪ iBT
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
no problemI will send you a copyWhat is dowry?You whistle with your lips...my number is 555-1211alert and attentive.In a company here vs. over hereprograms were implemented.take a showerthe more I want some moreThe flash on your cameraWhat does furnished mean?'to take part in the final meeting' vs 'to take partition in the final meeting'