arbitrary; fickle; flexible
initialed
changeable
thorough
abundant

Meaning of "a violent shower"

Countable vs. uncountable nouns | Why is kids' stuff not equal to childrens' stuff?
Meaning of "a violent shower" #1 (permalink) Thu Mar 30, 2006 7:42 am   Meaning of "a violent shower"

ESL/EFL Test #76 "Christmas Postman (3)", question 6

Once out in the open air I experienced a violent ......... but soon the sun came out.

(a) wet
(b) raining
(c) rains
(d) shower

ESL/EFL Test #76 "Christmas Postman (3)", answer 6

Once out in the open air I experienced a violent shower but soon the sun came out.

Correct answer: (d) shower

Once out in the open air I experienced a violent rains but soon the sun came out.
_________________________

What does 'a violent shower' mean?

Garsan
Garsan

Violent shower #2 (permalink) Thu Mar 30, 2006 7:50 am   Violent shower

A shower is a short period of rainfall. Violent means very sudden and strong and in the sense of rain it would mean very heavy.

_________________

Learn all about English adverbs in this amusing storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Sign up for FREE and explore English! Click to subscribe to email English course
Idiom: to do the washing upPhrasal verb: to make outPhrasal verb: to turn intoMeaning of underlyingExcavated vs. exhaustedI have a little confusion about who and whoseMeaning of destructFind out vs. find goodHow to apologize politely in English?We can't use would after "If"When could we use chore?Different between of, from, on, withAbout, at, on, since