Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

arbitrary; fickle; flexible
initialed
changeable
thorough
abundant
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

Meaning of "a violent shower"

ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
Countable vs. uncountable nouns | Why is kids' stuff not equal to childrens' stuff?
listening exercises
Meaning of "a violent shower" #1 (permalink) Thu Mar 30, 2006 7:42 am   Meaning of "a violent shower"

English Language Tests, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #76 "Christmas Postman (3)", question 6

Once out in the open air I experienced a violent ......... but soon the sun came out.

(a) wet
(b) raining
(c) rains
(d) shower

English Language Tests, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #76 "Christmas Postman (3)", answer 6

Once out in the open air I experienced a violent shower but soon the sun came out.

Correct answer: (d) shower

Your answer was: incorrect
Once out in the open air I experienced a violent rains but soon the sun came out.

What does 'a violent shower' mean?

Garsan
Garsan

Violent shower #2 (permalink) Thu Mar 30, 2006 7:50 am   Violent shower

Hi,

A shower is a short period of rainfall. Violent means very sudden and strong and in the sense of rain it would mean very heavy.

Alan
Co-founder
Alan Townend

Learn all about English adverbs in this amusing storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Sign up for FREE and explore English! Click to subscribe to email English course
Countable vs. uncountable nouns | Why is kids' stuff not equal to childrens' stuff?
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
Idiom: to do the washing upPhrasal verb: to make outPhrasal verb: to turn intoMeaning of underlyingExcavated vs. exhaustedI have a little confusion about who and whoseMeaning of destructFind out vs. find goodHow to apologize politely in English?We can't use would after "If"When could we use chore?Different between of, from, on, withAbout, at, on, since