Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

type of fuel; gasoline
priority
novelty
petrol
hesitation
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

Does enamored mean to be in love?

ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
come of vs come from | admit of
listening exercises
Does enamored mean to be in love? #1 (permalink) Thu Apr 28, 2011 18:51 pm   Does enamored mean to be in love?

English Grammar Tests, Elementary Level

ESL/EFL Test #142 "Real Life: The Body and Related Verbs (2)", question 2

You ......... with your lips. This is when you touch your lips to something. Usually, people who are enamored with each other do this on a regular basis.

(a) kiss
(b) cuddle
(c) show
(d) kick

English Grammar Tests, Elementary Level

ESL/EFL Test #142 "Real Life: The Body and Related Verbs (2)", answer 2

You kiss with your lips. This is when you touch your lips to something. Usually, people who are enamored with each other do this on a regular basis.

Correct answer: (a) kiss

to be enamored= to be in love, to have fallen in love with sb?
thanks!
Saneta
I'm a Communicator ;-)

Does enamored mean to be in love? #2 (permalink) Thu Apr 28, 2011 19:11 pm   Does enamored mean to be in love?

Yes. From the French, 'en amour' which literally means 'in love'.

'Enamored' is the US spelling. Being British, I'd spell it 'enamoured'... you can see the connection to the original more clearly.
Language Coach

Learn all about English adverbs in this amusing storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is how you can learn English the fun way! Click to subscribe to free email English course
Does enamored mean to be in love? #3 (permalink) Tue May 03, 2011 16:36 pm   Does enamored mean to be in love?

Speaking for American English, at least spoken American English... 'enamored' is not frequently used as a substitute for 'in love with'
Daedalus9000

Does enamored mean to be in love? #4 (permalink) Tue May 03, 2011 17:27 pm   Does enamored mean to be in love?

The frequency of its use is a different question - and I agree with you. It's not in use much in Britain either.
Language Coach

Does enamored mean to be in love? #5 (permalink) Tue May 03, 2011 18:42 pm   Does enamored mean to be in love?

Talking about this... How do you say when you are trying to inspire love in someone. Just like that? "Inspire love"? Or in past tense... I inspired love in her?... does it sound natural? haha
HumbertoDeOz
I'm here quite often ;-)

Does enamored mean to be in love? #6 (permalink) Tue May 03, 2011 18:54 pm   Does enamored mean to be in love?

Hi,

Although 'enamoured' isn't used except in a rather precious way in UK English to suggest 'in love', it is sometimes used in a typical negative English understatement. In that sense it is another way of saying that you don't particularly like something as in: I'm not really enamoured with the idea of having to pay higher taxes.

Alan
Co-founder
Alan Townend

come of vs come from | admit of
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
broke, bankrupt and moreall-you-can-eatreschedule your appointmentMeaning of Graphics test........... please help meMy shift ends at about 5:30 pm.I'm starting to get angry?What does 'in that case' mean?What has kept them vs. what has held them"on 23 April" vs. "at 23 April"Meaning of cliche / clichesWhy is would wrong?Verb missing in your choiceDifference between among and between