type of fuel; gasoline
priority
novelty
petrol
hesitation

Does enamored mean to be in love?

come of vs come from | admit of
Does enamored mean to be in love? #1 (permalink) Thu Apr 28, 2011 18:51 pm   Does enamored mean to be in love?

ESL/EFL Test #142 "Real Life: The Body and Related Verbs (2)", question 2

You ......... with your lips. This is when you touch your lips to something. Usually, people who are enamored with each other do this on a regular basis.

(a) kiss
(b) cuddle
(c) show
(d) kick

ESL/EFL Test #142 "Real Life: The Body and Related Verbs (2)", answer 2

You kiss with your lips. This is when you touch your lips to something. Usually, people who are enamored with each other do this on a regular basis.

Correct answer: (a) kiss
_________________________

to be enamored= to be in love, to have fallen in love with sb?
thanks!

Does enamored mean to be in love? #2 (permalink) Thu Apr 28, 2011 19:11 pm   Does enamored mean to be in love?

Yes. From the French, 'en amour' which literally means 'in love'.

'Enamored' is the US spelling. Being British, I'd spell it 'enamoured'... you can see the connection to the original more clearly.
_________________

Learn all about English adverbs in this amusing storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is how you can learn English the fun way! Click to subscribe to free email English course
Does enamored mean to be in love? #3 (permalink) Tue May 03, 2011 16:36 pm   Does enamored mean to be in love?

Speaking for American English, at least spoken American English... 'enamored' is not frequently used as a substitute for 'in love with'
Daedalus9000

Does enamored mean to be in love? #4 (permalink) Tue May 03, 2011 17:27 pm   Does enamored mean to be in love?

The frequency of its use is a different question - and I agree with you. It's not in use much in Britain either.
_________________

Does enamored mean to be in love? #5 (permalink) Tue May 03, 2011 18:42 pm   Does enamored mean to be in love?

Talking about this... How do you say when you are trying to inspire love in someone. Just like that? "Inspire love"? Or in past tense... I inspired love in her?... does it sound natural? haha
HumbertoDeOz

Does enamored mean to be in love? #6 (permalink) Tue May 03, 2011 18:54 pm   Does enamored mean to be in love?

Although 'enamoured' isn't used except in a rather precious way in UK English to suggest 'in love', it is sometimes used in a typical negative English understatement. In that sense it is another way of saying that you don't particularly like something as in: I'm not really enamoured with the idea of having to pay higher taxes.

_________________

come of vs come from | admit of
broke, bankrupt and moreall-you-can-eatreschedule your appointmentMeaning of Graphics test........... please help meMy shift ends at about 5:30 pm.I'm starting to get angry?What does 'in that case' mean?What has kept them vs. what has held them"on 23 April" vs. "at 23 April"Meaning of cliche / clichesWhy is would wrong?Verb missing in your choiceDifference between among and between