number; image; character; price; human shape; symbol
protocol
figure
crowd
slice

Phrasal verb: to turn into

Idiom: to do the washing up | His presence of mind deserted him
Phrasal verb: to turn into #1 (permalink) Fri Mar 31, 2006 13:36 pm   Phrasal verb: to turn into

ESL/EFL Test #32 "Story (1)", question 7

It had been a very large private house that had been turned ......... a small hotel for twenty-five guests.

(a) out
(b) down
(c) into
(d) to

ESL/EFL Test #32 "Story (1)", answer 7

It had been a very large private house that had been turned into a small hotel for twenty-five guests.

Correct answer: (c) into

It had been a very large private house that had been turned to a small hotel for twenty-five guests.
_________________________

What does it mean

Stone
Stone

Phrasal verb: to turn into #2 (permalink) Fri Mar 31, 2006 15:05 pm   Phrasal verb: to turn into

.
Turn into = convert.

It used to be an big, old house, but it was reconstructed and redesigned so that it could be a small hotel.
_________________

Want to learn about the future tenses? Read this story and smileEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is how you can learn English the fun way! Click to subscribe to free email English course
Phrasal verb: to turn into #3 (permalink) Fri Mar 31, 2006 15:11 pm   Phrasal verb: to turn into

Mister Micawber wrote:
.
Turn into = convert.

please could you illustrate when we can use "had been " & used to de"? does they mean the same?
thanks :roll:

Phrasal verb: to turn into #4 (permalink) Fri Mar 31, 2006 15:13 pm   Phrasal verb: to turn into

Anonymous wrote:
Mister Micawber wrote:
.
Turn into = convert.

please could you illustrate when we can use "had been " & used to be"? does they mean the same?
thanks :roll:

Phrasal verb: to turn into #5 (permalink) Fri Mar 31, 2006 15:18 pm   Phrasal verb: to turn into

.
It had been a very large private house , but it was turned into a small hotel for twenty-five guests.
It used to be a very large private house, but it was turned into a small hotel for twenty-five guests
.

Here, either works, but the two forms are not really related. Used to be just indicates former condition:

I used to be a college student
.

Past perfect is used to distinguish the earlier of two past events when that time relationship is not already clear:

I had been a college student for two years when I finally received my first A grade.
.
_________________

Why we are use "are thinking" not will thinkWhat do you mean by walking into things?Meaning of the expression: 'stage struck'Simple present doesn'tError vs. mistakeTo whom vs. to who?Phrasal verb: to make outMeaning of underlyingExcavated vs. exhaustedI have a little confusion about who and whoseMeaning of destructFind out vs. find goodMeaning of "a violent shower"