Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

physical; done using human skill or force
periodical
operational
manual
assistant
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

To whom vs. to who?

ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
His presence of mind deserted him | Error vs. mistake
listening exercises
To whom vs. to who? #1 (permalink) Fri Mar 31, 2006 18:22 pm   To whom vs. to who?

English Grammar Tests, Elementary Level

ESL/EFL Test #79 "Pronouns: who, whose, whom, which", question 10

That young man to ......... we owe some thanks, saved our mom's life on that car accident.

(a) which
(b) whom
(c) who
(d) whose

English Grammar Tests, Elementary Level

ESL/EFL Test #79 "Pronouns: who, whose, whom, which", answer 10

That young man to whom we owe some thanks, saved our mom's life on that car accident.

Correct answer: (b) whom

Your answer was: correct

Hey...I just wanna know, when do I have to use to whom?? can I say? "I sold my car"(someone says) and I ask "to whom?" is that right???

Sergio
sergio

To whom vs. to who? #2 (permalink) Sat Apr 01, 2006 19:00 pm   To whom vs. to who?

Yes, Sergio. That would be right.
When you sell your car you sell it "to" someone.
Let's suppose your sentence was:
I sold my car to Daniela.
There are two other ways of saying that sentence.
I sold "her" my car.
I sold my car to "her".
Not she.
It is a generic rule that if you can replace the object of the sentence by possessive pronouns ,such as her, him or them, then you are suppose to use "whom".
If the word "sell" was referring to the subject of the sentence (in that case "I") then you were supposed to use "who".

Structure of a sentence:
I sold my car to Daniela.
I (subject of the sentence)
sold my car to Daniela. (predicate of the sentence)
sold (Ditransitive verb. It means it can take both direct and indirect verbs. In other words, you can ask the verb two questions. "What" did I sell? my car, "to whom" did I sell it? to Daniela.)
my car (direct objet)
to Daniela (indirect object).

Oops, I got a little carried away. I hope I am not making this too confusing.

All that to say, yes it would be correct to say "to whom", because "whom" would be referring to the object of the sentence. However, you would most likely not hear people saying it that way in common speech, because it sounds "too correct". People usually only use it when they are trying to be formal. Like, when they write an essay or some other types of papers.
Caroline
I'm new here and I like it ;-)
Caroline Binda

How do you use the English Prepositions correctly?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is all you want to know about English! Click to subscribe to free email English course
His presence of mind deserted him | Error vs. mistake
ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on English Forums
Side of the story vs. part of the storyPremier vs. firstWhy we are use "are thinking" not will thinkWhat do you mean by walking into things?Meaning of the expression: 'stage struck'Simple present doesn'tIdiom: to do the washing upPhrasal verb: to make outPhrasal verb: to turn intoMeaning of underlyingExcavated vs. exhaustedI have a little confusion about who and whoseMeaning of destruct