bundle; parcel; container for storage or transportation; inseparable combination of items
session
package
brochure
synthesis

Change of heart and point of view

What does polish mean? | What is a parking lot?
Change of heart and point of view #1 (permalink) Mon Oct 11, 2004 11:14 am   Change of heart and point of view

Test No. incompl/inter-1 "Applying for that Job", question 5

The government has changed its policy and had a complete change of ..........

(a) view
(b) opinion
(c) mind
(d) heart

Test No. incompl/inter-1 "Applying for that Job", answer 5

The government has changed its policy and had a complete change of heart.

Correct answer: (d) heart

The government has changed its policy and had a complete change of view.
_________________________

Why is the answer not "view"?

Vijay
Vijay Jr.

Change of heart and point of view #2 (permalink) Mon Oct 11, 2004 12:35 pm   Change of heart and point of view

Hi Vijay,

If someone has a change of heart, they change their opinion or the way they feel about something. You can also change your point of view.
So, change of heart is a fixed expression.

Please, let me know if that makes sense to you. Regards.

TOEIC listening, question-response: We're not going to play today, are we?

In this story you'll learn everything about the passive voiceEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Sign up for FREE and explore English! Click to subscribe to email English course
Change of heart and change of opinion #3 (permalink) Thu Jun 09, 2005 14:19 pm   Change of heart and change of opinion

In my opinion government is a body (group of people) having various opinions about a particular subject. "Change of Heart" does not fit into the concept well. As there can be various opinions involved in change of a certain policy I think "Change Of Opinion" fits in better & sounds more sensible.

If Not Explain Why?

Tanvi

Meaning of change 'change of heart' #4 (permalink) Wed Jun 15, 2005 18:10 pm   Meaning of change 'change of heart'

Change of heart is an idiom which means that somebody changes their opinion. Please note that the expression is change of heart and not change of opinion. This phrase can be used in connection with governments or individuals because people tend to change their minds no matter whom they work for.

TOEIC listening, photographs: An auto junkyard

Change of heart and point of view #5 (permalink) Thu Jul 17, 2008 17:07 pm   Change of heart and point of view

Coudn't it be "change of mind"?
Tuga

Location: Brazil

Change of heart and point of view #6 (permalink) Thu Jul 17, 2008 17:15 pm   Change of heart and point of view

Hi Tuga,

Yes, you could. "I changed my mind" is equally possible to say.
_________________
Test of English as a Foreign Language
TOEFL Preparation & TOEFL Vocabulary
Learn more: How to Become an English Teacher
Ralf
Ralf Breheny

Location: the world

Change of heart and point of view #7 (permalink) Thu Jul 17, 2008 17:31 pm   Change of heart and point of view

I agree that you can change your mind but when it's said as it is in the test sentence, in an abstract way, I think 'change of heart' is preferable.

_________________

Change of heart and point of view #8 (permalink) Wed Oct 22, 2008 9:15 am   Change of heart and point of view

Hi Alan
I agree on your post that 'change of heart' is preferable, but the context is about government in which 'there is a change of policy' is a secular phrase. In my opinion, I can use 'change of mind' as a secular phrase and I'll use 'change of heart ' in the context of sacredness.

can you explain further about 'change of heart' in the context?

fil
Filcanlas

Location: saudi arabia

Change of heart and point of view #9 (permalink) Wed Oct 22, 2008 9:42 am   Change of heart and point of view

Hi Fil,

There are two points I'd like to make -in the first place it's very much how groups of words fit together and are used in an idiom and the one that fits most commonly is 'change of heart'. As for the use of the word 'heart' in political language I would refer you to an expression used very much nowadays when talking about politicians trying to capture the 'hearts and minds' of the voters. In the test sentence it is stated that the government has changed its policy and that covers the pragmatic part. The second part of the sentence tries to explain the reason why and suggests that it responded to what the public felt and in that sense had a change of heart.

_________________

Change of heart and point of view #10 (permalink) Tue Oct 27, 2009 16:18 pm   Change of heart and point of view

Torsten wrote:
Hi Vijay,

May I ask is there a grammar mistake here?
_________________
I have a dream and I want to know the secret of time and universe.
Zhangbaixiang

Location: Chinese

Change of heart and point of view #11 (permalink) Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:08 pm   Change of heart and point of view

Sure, what do you think is the mistake?

TOEFL listening lectures: What does DNA analysis reveal about the domestication of horses?

Change of heart and point of view #12 (permalink) Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:38 pm   Change of heart and point of view

Sorry, It's my mistake, there is no mistake in that sentence.
thanks.
_________________
Zhangbaixiang

Location: Chinese

Change of heart and point of view #13 (permalink) Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:06 am   Change of heart and point of view

i am agreed with all just enjoy your study :P
Heru Sahrudin

Test incompl/inter-333, Question 10Test incompl/inter-333, Question 8dip his toesTigers like to hunt alone...get your rear in gearwade aroundlooked uponWhat are scarecrows?the first few pages of the bookContracts ariseputting the hard yackerMeaning of broom, shovel and trovelExpression: behaves in a crazy manner