but; in spite of; despite
yet
until
however
immediately

these libraries and open vs. opened

around the world | handwriting
these libraries and open vs. opened #1 (permalink) Fri May 13, 2011 14:40 pm   these libraries and open vs. opened

ESL/EFL Test #216 "Non-Action Verbs (1)", question 7

I ......... that libraries are a good thing and they should be open to the public in all countries.

(a) seem
(b) believe
(c) want
(d) have

ESL/EFL Test #216 "Non-Action Verbs (1)", answer 7

I believe that libraries are a good thing and they should be open to the public in all countries.

Correct answer: (b) believe

_________________________

why not ,,..these or those libraries..'', not: that libraries? and please tell the difference between open and opened?
why and when should I write: should be open /should be opened??
thank you a lot!!!

these libraries and open vs. opened #2 (permalink) Fri May 13, 2011 18:01 pm   these libraries and open vs. opened

In this context 'that' is not a demonstrative in the same way as you would use 'that building'. 'that car', that bus'...
I believe that... = I am aware of the fact that

In this context, open = available for business (store hours, when the public can buy things)
The shop is open from early until late.
The shop is opened early in the morning. (the doors are opened at the start of business)
_________________

Learn some cool expressions in the following cool storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Read these English anecdotes and maybe smile today? Subscribe to free email English course
these libraries and open vs. opened #3 (permalink) Fri May 13, 2011 18:14 pm   these libraries and open vs. opened

'That' in your sentence is called a clause connector because it joins two clauses - a main clause (I believe) and a noun clause (libraries are a good thing.) 'Open' describes the state of being open and 'opened' describes the process of being opened

_________________

these libraries and open vs. opened #4 (permalink) Fri May 13, 2011 23:45 pm   these libraries and open vs. opened

'That' in your sentence is called a clause connector because it joins two clauses ...
In other words, Saneta, the word 'that' functions as a conjunction. And you will find 'that' listed as such in dictionaries.
:-)
_________________________________________________
"Creativity is the power to connect the seemingly unconnected." ~ William Plomer
Esl_Expert

Location: Rhode Island, USA

around the world | handwriting
What does 'every other day' mean?must be aboutLet's go to Jasper.courseI forgot my keyswhat kind of furniture is an ottomonmedian vs. middleCome and sit beside methe new deckWhat does the word AMIBUOUS mean if ever?What does the expression 'no idea' mean?What are expressions and gerunds?What does stroll mean?