Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

to make false and injurious statements about another; to defame; to vilify; to malign
assist
entrance
slander
tantalizing
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

WHITE lie vs. BLACK lie

ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
pilot vs pilots | Meaing of Let sleeping dogs lie
listening exercises
WHITE lie vs. BLACK lie #1 (permalink) Mon Oct 11, 2004 20:28 pm   WHITE lie vs. BLACK lie

Test No. incompl/inter-14 "Popular Idioms (1)", question 5

It's all right to tell a ......... lie.

(a) red
(b) white
(c) blue
(d) black

Test No. incompl/inter-14 "Popular Idioms (1)", answer 5

It's all right to tell a white lie.

Correct answer: (b) white

Your answer was: incorrect
It's all right to tell a black lie.

why do you say WHITE lie and not BLACK lie?

Tomas
Tomas

A white lie #2 (permalink) Mon Oct 11, 2004 20:50 pm   A white lie

Hi Tomas,

Thank you for your question. The expression a white lie is an idiom - it means an unimportant lie (especially if an unimportant lie (especially one told to be tactful or polite).

There probably idioms with colours in your language and you can try to see what happens if you change a colour in that expressions...

TOEIC listening, question-response: Where did you get that outfit?
Torsten
Learning Coach
Torsten Daerr

Want to learn about the future tenses? Read this story and smileEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is how you can learn English the fun way! Click to subscribe to free email English course
WHITE lie vs. BLACK lie #3 (permalink) Thu Dec 07, 2006 15:00 pm   WHITE lie vs. BLACK lie

Interestingly enough, if you translate "white lie" into Azeri it would mean "a blatant lie".

WHITE lie vs. BLACK lie #4 (permalink) Sat Jun 19, 2010 17:27 pm   WHITE lie vs. BLACK lie

I think a lie itself is "black" so we needn't call it "black" ^^ and so a white lie is the only exception.
Ft_Louie
I'm new here and I like it ;-)

pilot vs pilots | Meaing of Let sleeping dogs lie
ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on English Forums
what does put forth mean?how use latest?In many storybooks, witches cast evil spells onto unsuspecting victims.Isn't going make it to the practice - what does it mean?'just bought' vs 'just has bought'My son hit a homerun last night! Wow! Good for him.green urgly cotton or urgly green cottonbritish word for kisspast tense vs present perfectthe most difficult vs the less difficultthis 17-year-old son vs his 17-year-old sonCountable vs. uncountable nounsIdiom: Pin you hopes on