customary; routine; formal
conventional
fair
downward
residential

trying to ignore me...

Meaning of "keen on" | Why "near" not "next to"
trying to ignore me... #1 (permalink) Mon May 23, 2011 19:46 pm   trying to ignore me...

ESL/EFL Test #257 "Noun and Verb Opposites (3)", question 6

He pretended not to notice me, but I could tell he was trying to ......... me.

(a) ignore
(b) see
(c) find
(d) increase

ESL/EFL Test #257 "Noun and Verb Opposites (3)", answer 6

He pretended not to notice me, but I could tell he was trying to ignore me.

Correct answer: (a) ignore
_________________________

why not: see?-maybe it's better opposite to ,,not to notice '' than ,,to ignore''...
thanks!

trying to ignore me... #2 (permalink) Mon May 23, 2011 19:50 pm   trying to ignore me...

Hi Saneta,

'Notice' in the sense of 'take notice of' has greater significance than 'see'. 'Not to notice' distinctly means 'ignore'.

_________________

Learn to use the present simple with the help of this short storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!How many different ways with words do you know? Subscribe to free email English course
trying to ignore me... #3 (permalink) Sat Jun 25, 2011 17:46 pm   trying to ignore me...

I was going to choose ''ignore'' but I thought that since it's supposed to be the opposite of ''not to notice'' I should select ''see''.
By the way, if you replace ''not to notice'' with ''ignore'' then you get ''He pretended to ignore me, but I could tell he was trying to ignore me''.
VioletaNicoleta

trying to ignore me... #4 (permalink) Sat Jul 23, 2011 3:29 am   trying to ignore me...

Yea, the choise "ignore" which is similar to "not to notice" is quite strange since the task is to find opposites, I think.
DEA38Ru

Location: Russia

trying to ignore me... #5 (permalink) Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:28 am   trying to ignore me...

DEA38Ru wrote:

Hi DEA38RU!
I have also learned Russian for 3 years, can you help me improve it.
Hope your reply.
Trantuongvi

trying to ignore me... #6 (permalink) Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:30 am   trying to ignore me...

not to notice - not be aware of
ignore - to deliberately disregard

The difference comes in the deliberation of the act. The first is not deliberate, the second one is.
The 'he' appeared not to be aware of the speaker accidentally, but in reality the speaker felt it was a deliberate act of disregard.

I can see why on first read-through the use of 'but' there would lead you to think you should choose an opposite, though. It is tricky.
_________________

sentence constructionwhereverwent surfing.on such short noticein the redlight drizzleWe're glad to have you aboardI'm grading final exams /to mark finals/'tilThat'll run about $15.track recordpremeditatedThere is no pay for them.A boxcar.