Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

to construct; to create; to increase intensity; to energize
pretense
build
tour
get
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

have let you borrow vs. let you borrow

ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
destroy the old, condemned house | I quit listening to her about 15 minutes into the conversation...
listening exercises
have let you borrow vs. let you borrow #1 (permalink) Mon May 23, 2011 20:11 pm   have let you borrow vs. let you borrow

English Grammar Tests, Elementary Level

ESL/EFL Test #258 "Noun and Verb Opposites (4)", question 7

Can you lend me eight dollars? Remember, I have let you ......... money in the past.

(a) see
(b) borrow
(c) clean
(d) paint

English Grammar Tests, Elementary Level

ESL/EFL Test #258 "Noun and Verb Opposites (4)", answer 7

Can you lend me eight dollars? Remember, I have let you borrow money in the past.

Correct answer: (b) borrow

Your answer was: correct

why not: I let you borrow money in the past?
I think that it should be Past Simple instead of Present Perfect, because we obviously talking about the past, but if that past lasts to the present moment I would then agree with this sentence;thanks again for help ;-]
Saneta
I'm a Communicator ;-)

have let you borrow vs. let you borrow #2 (permalink) Mon May 23, 2011 20:45 pm   have let you borrow vs. let you borrow

You've sort of answered your own question. Depending on the specific circumstances (which we cannot tell from this question) both are possible.
This test happens to use the present perfect possibility.
Language Coach

Learn some cool expressions in the following cool storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Start exploring the English language today! Subscribe to free email English course
have let you borrow vs. let you borrow #3 (permalink) Tue May 24, 2011 7:51 am   have let you borrow vs. let you borrow

Dear Beeesneees, I'm confused about: you'eve, 9which and bith=both?
could you please rewrite for me your answer so that it will be clear to me, thank you very much.
Saneta
I'm a Communicator ;-)

have let you borrow vs. let you borrow #4 (permalink) Tue May 24, 2011 12:16 pm   have let you borrow vs. let you borrow

Sorry for the typos Saneta. I've corrected those.
I was in a rush, I'm afraid.
Language Coach

have let you borrow vs. let you borrow #5 (permalink) Tue May 24, 2011 12:35 pm   have let you borrow vs. let you borrow

Hi Saneta,

I see your point about the past simple. I think this use of the present perfect is a good example of linking then and now because the speaker is asking for money now and reminding the other person what he has done in the past.

Alan
Co-founder
Alan Townend

have let you borrow vs. let you borrow #6 (permalink) Tue May 24, 2011 12:43 pm   have let you borrow vs. let you borrow

You've sort of answered your own question. - Beeesneees has written, but shouldn't it be without ,,sort of'': You've answered your own question.
thank you Alan and Beeesneees :-)
Saneta
I'm a Communicator ;-)

have let you borrow vs. let you borrow #7 (permalink) Tue May 24, 2011 12:53 pm   have let you borrow vs. let you borrow

Hi Saneta,

What's wrong with 'sort of'? It suggests 'in a roundabout way'.

Alan
Co-founder
Alan Townend

have let you borrow vs. let you borrow #8 (permalink) Tue May 24, 2011 13:08 pm   have let you borrow vs. let you borrow

Hi, Mr Alan, thank you, the expression :,,sort of'' was new for me, for all the learners I can also recommend the website about it:
http://www.oxfordadvancedlearnersdictionary.com/dictionary/sort+of#sort_1
Regards :)
Saneta
I'm a Communicator ;-)

destroy the old, condemned house | I quit listening to her about 15 minutes into the conversation...
ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on English Forums
Why did you tell mewine related words and phrasesMy dog loves to sleep vs. my dog loves sleepNo one likes embarrassing himselfbe out that lateGet along...Go home for the day...asset pricing clearing???right elbow and left footYes, I booked it already vs. I've already booked itHow much do you want for it?Do you know when he'll be back?Are presents and presence homophones?