custom; practice; convention
tradition
waste
ferry
bond

destroy the old, condemned house

be out that late | have let you borrow vs. let you borrow
destroy the old, condemned house #1 (permalink) Tue May 24, 2011 9:05 am   destroy the old, condemned house

ESL/EFL Test #260 "Noun and Verb Opposites (6)", question 7

My wife and I are going to ......... the old, condemned house on the property and build a new one in its place.

(a) create
(b) destroy
(c) suck
(d) dig

ESL/EFL Test #260 "Noun and Verb Opposites (6)", answer 7

My wife and I are going to destroy the old, condemned house on the property and build a new one in its place.

Correct answer: (b) destroy
_________________________

please explain: condemned house on the property?= haunted house of their own?
thank you very much.

destroy the old, condemned house #2 (permalink) Tue May 24, 2011 9:23 am   destroy the old, condemned house

Hi Saneta,

The first meaning of 'condemn' is sentence someone in a court to a punishment, often used in 'condemn to death'. 'Condemned' used with reference to a building means that it is officially stated/declared to be unsafe. Usually as a result of this the building is knocked down.

_________________

Want to learn about the future tenses? Read this story and smileEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!How many different ways with words do you know? Subscribe to free email English course
destroy the old, condemned house #3 (permalink) Tue May 24, 2011 11:37 am   destroy the old, condemned house

Thank you very much Mr Alan. and could you please tell me sth about: ,,on the property''? on the property = on their land/ground?

destroy the old, condemned house #4 (permalink) Tue May 24, 2011 11:48 am   destroy the old, condemned house

Hi Saneta,

I assume that, as you say, 'property' refers to the land on which the house is built.

_________________

Why did you tell mewine related words and phrasesMy dog loves to sleep vs. my dog loves sleepNo one likes embarrassing himselfGet along...Go home for the day...asset pricing clearing???right elbow and left footYes, I booked it already vs. I've already booked itSure, you are welcome to do that...How much do you want for it?Do you know when he'll be back?I quit listening to her about 15 minutes into the conversation...