Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

set; equipment; outfit; clothing; wash basin
junction
expiration
readership
kit
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

Meaning of monotonous

ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
What is the difference between 'come up with' and 'come out with'? | White as lily, lily white
listening exercises
Meaning of monotonous #1 (permalink) Fri Apr 07, 2006 5:13 am   Meaning of monotonous

English Language Tests, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #122 "Sleep Expressions", question 1

Mr. Wally's class was so monotonous today I couldn't help ......... a few times.

(a) sleeping
(b) dozing off
(c) waking up
(d) resting

English Language Tests, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #122 "Sleep Expressions", answer 1

Mr. Wally's class was so monotonous today I couldn't help dozing off a few times.

Correct answer: (b) dozing off

what does monotonous mean?

heather
heather

Meaning of monotonous #2 (permalink) Fri Apr 07, 2006 7:31 am   Meaning of monotonous

Hi,

This literally means on one note or tone - in other words boring.

Alan
Co-founder
Alan Townend

Learn all about English adverbs in this amusing storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Read these English anecdotes and maybe smile today? Subscribe to free email English course
doze off #3 (permalink) Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:38 am   doze off

Hi, Mr. Alan,

Could it be also 'Mr. Wally's class was so monotonous today I couldn't help doze off a few times.'? ('doze off' because it is after modal)

Thank you..
Watie
I'm here quite often ;-)

Meaning of monotonous #4 (permalink) Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:41 am   Meaning of monotonous

Hi Watie,

Some verbs are followed by an infinitive only, others by either infinitive or the 'ing' form and some are followed by the 'ing' form only. 'Help' is one of those that are followed by the 'ing' form only. That's why it has to be: I couldn't help dozing off.

Alan
Co-founder
Alan Townend

Meaning of monotonous #5 (permalink) Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:45 am   Meaning of monotonous

monotonous means to have dual personality or thoughts
Awais

Meaning of monotonous #6 (permalink) Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:36 pm   Meaning of monotonous

Alan wrote:
Hi,

This literally means on one note or tone - in other words boring.

Alan

I easily caught it....

Like when the college professor keeps talking in the same way, same tone. Then his queit voice makes you feel hard up for taking a nap in the mid lecture ?

I liked this topic!
Puppet
I'm here quite often ;-)

doze off #7 (permalink) Mon Feb 01, 2010 16:16 pm   doze off

Alan wrote:
Some verbs are followed by an infinitive only, others by either infinitive or the 'ing' form and some are followed by the 'ing' form only. 'Help' is one of those that are followed by the 'ing' form only. That's why it has to be: I couldn't help dozing off.

Alan

Many thanks for your explanation Mr. Alan. It is very helpful. This website is very useful for anyone who want to enhance using english grammar. ;)
Watie
I'm here quite often ;-)

What is the difference between 'come up with' and 'come out with'? | White as lily, lily white
ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on English Forums
Meaning of parrotsdifference between common and usual hereWe're going right after work.I'm going to a movie vs. I'm going to watch a moviequiet instead of rangeMeaning of 'Throw in one's lot with'Meaning of stinksDifference between occupy, gorge, blow, stuffClear communication limits trade discrepancies.Tag for 'I am not your friend'What is "set the world on fire"?Why thin instead of slim?What does 'knee high' mean?