Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

range; extent; sphere; expanse
library
scope
perspective
article
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

I am inclined to think that you're lying

ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
get-rich-quick schemes | Time and again
listening exercises
I am inclined to think that you're lying #1 (permalink) Sat May 28, 2011 12:03 pm   I am inclined to think that you're lying

English Grammar Tests, Elementary Level

ESL/EFL Test #270 "Gerund and Infinitive Practice (9)", question 6

I am inclined ......... that you're lying because you've told so many fibs in the past.

(a) thinking
(b) to think
(c) think
(d) thinks

English Grammar Tests, Elementary Level

ESL/EFL Test #270 "Gerund and Infinitive Practice (9)", answer 6

I am inclined to think that you're lying because you've told so many fibs in the past.

Correct answer: (b) to think

shouldn't it be: you told so many fibs in the past, instead of: you've told so many finbs in the past?
because we are taling only about: past.
thank you :)
Saneta
I'm a Communicator ;-)

I am inclined to think that you're lying #2 (permalink) Sat May 28, 2011 13:25 pm   I am inclined to think that you're lying

I see why you would think that, but the person has told 'so many' fibs - that indicates that he has told fibs on more than one occasion and at more than one time in the past.
Language Coach

Can you find all the prepositions in this story?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is how you can learn English the fun way! Click to subscribe to free email English course
I am inclined to think that you're lying #3 (permalink) Sat May 28, 2011 18:21 pm   I am inclined to think that you're lying

Hi saneta,

The reason why 'have told' is used here is to show that the telling of lies has continued up to the time when the speaker now says:

Quote:
I am inclined to think that you're lying

Alan
Co-founder
Alan Townend

get-rich-quick schemes | Time and again
ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on English Forums
faint whisper vs. a faint whisper/faint whispersHe recalled going to the store on Friday.is this good report ?went to bedThe little girl longed towine related words and phrasesPeople often stub their toes.Let's wait in the lounge.stop to think vs. stop thinkingwhy as to be used in this particular sentence?Difference between a lot and lotsWhy did we not use fog?Meaning of 'to be careful'