range; extent; sphere; expanse
library
scope
perspective
article

I am inclined to think that you're lying

get-rich-quick schemes | Time and again
I am inclined to think that you're lying #1 (permalink) Sat May 28, 2011 12:03 pm   I am inclined to think that you're lying

ESL/EFL Test #270 "Gerund and Infinitive Practice (9)", question 6

I am inclined ......... that you're lying because you've told so many fibs in the past.

(a) thinking
(b) to think
(c) think
(d) thinks

ESL/EFL Test #270 "Gerund and Infinitive Practice (9)", answer 6

I am inclined to think that you're lying because you've told so many fibs in the past.

Correct answer: (b) to think
_________________________

shouldn't it be: you told so many fibs in the past, instead of: you've told so many finbs in the past?
because we are taling only about: past.
thank you :)

I am inclined to think that you're lying #2 (permalink) Sat May 28, 2011 13:25 pm   I am inclined to think that you're lying

I see why you would think that, but the person has told 'so many' fibs - that indicates that he has told fibs on more than one occasion and at more than one time in the past.
_________________

Can you find all the prepositions in this story?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is how you can learn English the fun way! Click to subscribe to free email English course
I am inclined to think that you're lying #3 (permalink) Sat May 28, 2011 18:21 pm   I am inclined to think that you're lying

Hi saneta,

The reason why 'have told' is used here is to show that the telling of lies has continued up to the time when the speaker now says:

.

_________________

get-rich-quick schemes | Time and again
faint whisper vs. a faint whisper/faint whispersHe recalled going to the store on Friday.is this good report ?went to bedThe little girl longed towine related words and phrasesPeople often stub their toes.Let's wait in the lounge.stop to think vs. stop thinkingwhy as to be used in this particular sentence?Difference between a lot and lotsWhy did we not use fog?Meaning of 'to be careful'