Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

to desert; to abandon; to change sides
monetize
slope
kit
defect
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

is this good report ?

ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
For information | Why did we not use fog?
listening exercises
is this good report ? #1 (permalink) Mon May 30, 2011 1:19 am   is this good report ?

How to write and explain a chart in IELTS exam? Please give me some examples thanks

For example this below chart ?

The bar char illustrates the outcome of a survey that why adult student decided to study, according to the survey about % 40 of students decided to study because of their interest in subject and also at the near percentage %38 of students chose to study for gaining qualifications . There were 2 major reasons, however %22 of students believe that studying is helpful for their current job, around %20 chose studies because they wanted to improve prospect of promotion also at the similar percentage 20 % decided to study because of enjoy learning. %12 wanted to study because of they wanted to be able change their job , only % 9 decided to study because of meeting people

The pie chart shows how peopel think the costs of adult education shoul;d be shared
Write a report for a university lecturer, describing the information shown below
you should write at least 150 words .

The pie chart below gives a general information how the cost of each course should be shared , as we can see the cost split into the three part and shared on tax , individual and employer , the number represents percentage of cost that people think it should be dedicated to study of adult education .The most noticeable feature is that people think almost half of cost (40 %) should be shared for individual and about one in four ( 25 %) of the cost must be spent on tax . in addition, about one in three (35%) for employer respectively

Samy
I'm here quite often ;-)

is this good report ? #2 (permalink) Mon May 30, 2011 4:44 am   is this good report ?

Well, I certainly cannot read the chart, but:

The bar chart illustrates the outcome of a survey on why adult students decide to study. According to the survey, about 40% decide to study because of their interest in the subject, while almost 38% choose to study to gain qualifications.

There were three other major reasons, however: 22% of students believe that studying is helpful for their current job, around 20% want to improve their prospect of promotion, and 20% decide to study because they enjoy learning. In addition, 12% want to study in order to change jobs, while only 9% decide to study in order to meet people.

Can you find all the prepositions in this story?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Learn how to explore English words! Subscribe to free email English course
is this good report ? #3 (permalink) Mon May 30, 2011 4:46 am   is this good report ?

PS: I hope you realize that your numbers add up to 161%.

is this good report ? #4 (permalink) Mon May 30, 2011 16:48 pm   is this good report ?

Thank you so much correction, Mister Micawber and explanation :) could you please also check this text too, I tried to describe pie chart …. I am not sure whether it is clear report or not

The pie chart below gives a general information how the cost of each course should be shared , as we can see the cost split into the three part and shared on tax , individual and employer , the number represents percentage of cost that people think it should be dedicated to study of adult education .The most noticeable feature is that people think almost half of cost (40 %) should be shared for individual and about one in four ( 25 %) of the cost must be spent on tax . in addition, about one in three (35%) for employer respectively
Samy
I'm here quite often ;-)

is this good report ? #5 (permalink) Mon May 30, 2011 17:31 pm   is this good report ?

I'm not a maths expert. Samy, but you seem to be interpreting the pie chart in a different way to me.

The pie chart below gives general information about how the cost of each course should be shared. As we can see, the cost is split into the three parts, being shared between the taxpayer, individuals and employers. The number represents what percentage of the total cost of adult education people believe these three parties should be expected to pay. The most noticeable feature is that people think two fifths of the cost (40%) should be met by the individual concerned and a quarter (25%) of the cost should be met through taxes. In addition, people think that just over a third (35%) of the costs should be met by the individual's employer.
Language Coach

is this good report ? #6 (permalink) Mon May 30, 2011 23:00 pm   is this good report ?

Answered by Mr. Mister Micawber:
===============================
The bar chart illustrates the outcome of a survey on why adult students decide to study. According to the survey, about 40% decide to study because of their interest in the subject, while almost 38% choose to study to gain qualifications.
There were three other major reasons, however: 22% of students believe that studying is helpful for their current job, around 20% want to improve their prospect of promotion, and 20% decide to study because they enjoy learning. In addition, 12% want to study in order to change jobs, while only 9% decide to study in order to meet people.

Answered by Madam Beeesneees :
================================

The pie chart below gives general information about how the cost of each course should be shared. As we can see, the cost is split into the three parts, being shared between the taxpayer, individuals and employers. The number represents what percentage of the total cost of adult education people believe these three parties should be expected to pay. The most noticeable feature is that people think two fifths of the cost (40%) should be met by the individual concerned and a quarter (25%) of the cost should be met through taxes. In addition, people think that just over a third (35%) of the costs should be met by the individual's employer.
Samy
I'm here quite often ;-)

is this good report ? #7 (permalink) Mon May 30, 2011 23:02 pm   is this good report ?

Did you have a reason for combining those two explanations, Sami?

The Bar Chart and the Pie Chart do not show the same information.
Language Coach

is this good report ? #8 (permalink) Mon May 30, 2011 23:43 pm   is this good report ?

Yes, I agree that they do not show the same information. But they are IELTS Sample Questions , it is about Task 1
IELTS exam (Academic module) consist 4 section such as listening, reading, writing module , in writing we must complete two writing task and we will have 60 minutes to complete both task .

For task 1 we should spend about 20 minute on it and write at least 150 words, they will give a Diagram, a table, a chart or a pie chart with short piece of text then we have to look at them and give information in our own words

“Summarize the information by selecting and reporting the main features, and make compassions where relevant “

Organise, present and compare data
Describe the stages of a process
Describe an object or event
Explain how something work

In task 2, we should spend about 40 minutes on task 2 and write at least 250 words for example we will have to present in argument or discuss a problem
Samy
I'm here quite often ;-)

is this good report ? #9 (permalink) Mon May 30, 2011 23:46 pm   is this good report ?

Could you please tell me where I can find the equivalent of these numbers in English language?

For example => 10 %= a tiny minority

15% = ?

25% = one-quarter, quarter,

35 %= over a third

50 % = Almost equal numbers

70 % =?

80 % = ?

90 % =?

100 % = ?
Samy
I'm here quite often ;-)

is this good report ? #10 (permalink) Mon May 30, 2011 23:46 pm   is this good report ?

I appreciate all that Samy, but I'm still curious about why you made post #6.

Were you just trying to summarise the information in one message, or did you have a further question about them?
Language Coach

is this good report ? #11 (permalink) Mon May 30, 2011 23:55 pm   is this good report ?

Samy wrote:
Could you please tell me where I can find the equivalent of these numbers in English language?

For example => 10 %= a tiny minority

15% = ?

25% = one-quarter, quarter,

35 %= over a third

50 % = Almost equal numbers

70 % =?

80 % = ?

90 % =?

100 % = ?

Percentages are out of 100, so to change the percentage into a fraction you have to divide the number by 100.

10% = 10 out of every 100 = 10/100 = 1/10 = one tenth (0.1)
20% = 20 out of every 100 = 20/100 = 2/10 = 1/5 = one fifth (0.2)
25% = 25 out of every 100 = 25/100 = 1/4 = one quarter (0.25)
30% = 30 out of every 100 = 30/100 = 3/10 = three tenths (0.3)
One third is between 33% and 34%, so 35% is just over one third.
40% = 40 out of every 100 = 40/100 = 4/10 = 2/5 = two fifths (0.4)
50% = 50 out of every 100 = 50/100 = 5/10 = 1/2 = Half (0.5)
60% = 60 out of every 100 = 60/100 = 6/10 = 3/5 = three fifths (0.6)
70% = 70 out of every 100 = 70/100 = 7/10 = seven tenths (0.7)
75% = 75 out of every 100 = 75/100 = 3/4 = three quarters (0.75)
etc.
Language Coach

is this good report ? #12 (permalink) Tue May 31, 2011 0:27 am   is this good report ?

I appreciate both of you and your contributions for solving my problem, I saved them in one place because I need to review them every day, and also the possible answers might be useful for other students :)

#Thank you Madam for giving the equivalent of these numbers , However I am working on them so I maybe ask more questions …. :)
I think my questions are endelss
Samy
I'm here quite often ;-)

is this good report ? #13 (permalink) Tue May 31, 2011 0:31 am   is this good report ?

That's fine, Samy, but I wouldn't worry about 'converting' the numbers to find the equivalent too much. As long as you know the basics (what constitutes a minority and a majority, a quarter, half, etc.) then for the rest of the measures you can just refer to the actual percentages provided in the way that Mister Micawber did in his answer.
Language Coach

is this good report ? #14 (permalink) Tue May 31, 2011 22:40 pm   is this good report ?

Finally I discovered what I need :) Vocabulary: Describing & analysing tables But I am still looking for more information :)

Adjective + Fall

Line Graphs

Between 1995 and 1996 there was a dramatic fall in the share price

or

verb + adverb form

"The share price fell dramatically between 1995 and 1996

Between 1990 and 1993 there was a gradual fall in the share price

Or

verb + adverb form

"The share price fell gradually between 1990 and 1993

Adjective + Increase

Line Graphs

between 1992 and 1994 there was a gradual increase in the share price
"The share price increased gradually between 1992 and 1994"
Samy
I'm here quite often ;-)

For information | Why did we not use fog?
ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on English Forums
Has been blowing all night -- not finished yet?What is body wash?faint whisper vs. a faint whisper/faint whispersHe recalled going to the store on Friday.I am inclined to think that you're lyingget-rich-quick schemeswent to bedThe little girl longed toPeople often stub their toes.Let's wait in the lounge.stop to think vs. stop thinkingMeaning of ordinalMeaning of 'to be careful'