Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

could be; might be; may be
possible
intermittent
committed
kind
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

Why "finished" but not "finishes"?

ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
What does armoire mean? | stopped at the market
listening exercises
Why "finished" but not "finishes"? #1 (permalink) Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:26 am   Why "finished" but not "finishes"?

Hi everybody
I'm newbie and I've just taken a test of English Grammar Test, Elementary Level # 4
There is one answer that I'm concern about. Here it is

You could tell the time by him because he always finished work at exactly the same time every day.

Correct answer: (d) finished

This sentence contains "always" and "every day" so why the answer is "finished" instead of "finishes"? And why we say "you could tell the time" instead of "you can tell the time"?

Thanks for your test and I'll appreciate if you can explain it for me.

Rei
Rei2

Why "finished" but not "finishes"? #2 (permalink) Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:30 am   Why "finished" but not "finishes"?

Oh, and one more question

They wanted their daughter to improve her social skills and sent her to the famous ......... school in Switzerland.
(a) ends
(b) ending
(c) finishes
(d) finishing

Correct answer: finishing

What does "finishing school" mean in this sentence?

Rei.
Rei2

Do you know how to use the relative pronoun?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Learn how to explore English words! Subscribe to free email English course
Why "finished" but not "finishes"? #3 (permalink) Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:45 am   Why "finished" but not "finishes"?

A 'finishing school' is a private school where teenagers/young ladies are prepared for entry into upper class society.
Language Coach

Why "finished" but not "finishes"? #4 (permalink) Fri Jun 03, 2011 16:29 pm   Why "finished" but not "finishes"?

Thanks for your explanation, Beeesneees ^^
Rei2

Why "finished" but not "finishes"? #5 (permalink) Fri Jun 03, 2011 16:46 pm   Why "finished" but not "finishes"?

Hi Rei,

Please post your questions using our system properly. You can read how to do this here: http://www.english-test.net/forum/ftopic90.html#how_to_ask_a_question

Many thanks,
Torsten

TOEIC listening, photographs: A fruit and vegetable stand
Torsten
Learning Coach
Torsten Daerr

What does armoire mean? | stopped at the market
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
an easy grabbing point?a room that sits below the roofI hope the professor teaches usin really big trouble.What is flax?REMWhat is a carseat?not unlikein alphabetical orderfloor covering?past perfect vs. simple pastSome vs. anyRules to using who and whom