Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

estimation; appraisal; measurement
salient
assessment
wallpaper
superior
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

Difference between time and duration

ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
have or must? | Meaning of 'bird's eye view'
listening exercises
Difference between time and duration #1 (permalink) Sun Apr 09, 2006 5:03 am   Difference between time and duration

English Language Tests, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #45 "Speaking: At the Supermarket", question 7

We have to inform our customers that the store will be closing in half an hour's ..........

(a) o'clock
(b) time
(c) hour
(d) duration

English Language Tests, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #45 "Speaking: At the Supermarket", answer 7

We have to inform our customers that the store will be closing in half an hour's time.

Correct answer: (b) time

Your answer was: incorrect
We have to inform our customers that the store will be closing in half an hour's duration.

Mr Alan

Would you explain the difference between "time" and "duration" here?

Thanks a lot in advance

Stone
Stone

Time/duration #2 (permalink) Sun Apr 09, 2006 9:28 am   Time/duration

Hi Stone,

Time is a general word than can be a period or indeed give details of the hours of the day. Duration is a word describing a defined period of time.

Look at these:

During the time (not a defined period) I lived in the country I managed to learn the language.

Throughout the duration (describing the period from start to finish)of my stay I didn't manage to understand the language.

Alan
Co-founder
Alan Townend

Learn all about English adverbs in this amusing storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Read these English anecdotes and maybe smile today? Subscribe to free email English course
In half an hour's time #3 (permalink) Sun Apr 09, 2006 11:50 am   In half an hour's time

Quote:
We have to inform our customers that the store will be closing in half an hour's time.

There's something I've been meaning to ask you. Would you say that the phrase 'in half an hour's time' is more used than 'in half an hour' and/or better sounding or is it just another option?
Conchita
Language Coach

Half an hour #4 (permalink) Sun Apr 09, 2006 12:30 pm   Half an hour

Hi Conchita,

To me both in half an hour and in half an hour's time are as good as each other. I suppose I chose in half an hour's time in this sentence to suggest someone speaking officially - making it sound slightly more authoritative. It's like the friendly invigilator in an examination who says: Well, you've got half an hour left. And then there would be the po-faced invigilator who would say: The examination will conclude in half an hour's time.

Alan
Co-founder
Alan Townend

Po-faced #5 (permalink) Sun Apr 09, 2006 12:45 pm   Po-faced

Alan wrote:
Hi Conchita,

To me both in half an hour and in half an hour's time are as good as each other. I suppose I chose in half an hour's time in this sentence to suggest someone speaking officially - making it sound slightly more authoritative. It's like the friendly invigilator in an examination who says: Well, you've got half an hour left. And then there would be the po-faced invigilator who would say: The examination will conclude in half an hour's time.

Alan

Po-faced? :lol: In German, 'Po' or 'Popo' is children's or familiar language for 'bottom', i.e. 'bum'! I had never heard this adjective and am not about to forget it!

Thank you for your 'lightning retort' and, especially, for giving it your very personal and unique hallmark.
Conchita
Language Coach

Difference between time and duration #6 (permalink) Sat Jul 11, 2009 16:42 pm   Difference between time and duration

in half an hour's time= in half an hour?
thanks.
Saneta
I'm a Communicator ;-)

Difference between time and duration #7 (permalink) Sat Jul 11, 2009 17:18 pm   Difference between time and duration

Hi,

Both mean the same.

Alan
Co-founder
Alan Townend

making it sound(s) slightly more authoritative #8 (permalink) Sat Jan 16, 2010 5:52 am   making it sound(s) slightly more authoritative

The sentence is missing (s): making it sound(s) slightly more authoritative.
Watie
I'm here quite often ;-)

have or must? | Meaning of 'bird's eye view'
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
What is the meaning of hibernate?Every since that kid was murdered...No parrots on Google?Goods as a noun?me vs. myselfneed some help in finding useful textbooksMeaning of "Breathe one's last"Seriously, shouldn't it be THEIR for everybody, anybody, nobody?Anyone should take her vacation through Rocky Mountains?Is correct to say: Nobody should give up on her dreams?double past tense?What does 'roll' mean?What does covered mean?